Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2006 arctic cat 500 display

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 arctic cat 500 display

When I turn the key on the display would come on and show the status and then reset as if I turned the key off and back on. This keeps happening even after I start the atv. The last thing I did was charge the battery without disconnecting it from the ATV. Did I short something out?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

I have a few suggestions for ya.

1. DISCONECT the main battery for 10 min.
2. REMOVE the 30amp accessory fuse (green) for 10min.

After the alotted time re-connect everything back up. THis should have re-set your ECM and reset your gauge.

For future reference you should alway dis-connect your battery when charging it...especially if it was dead. Your "wacky" gauge is a common symptom on AC machines when the battery is dead....and then charged.

I use a 1.5amp battery maintainer 24/7 on both my 650 TRV and the wifey's 550H1 EFI with no problems.

Good luck
My .02¢

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

I would have to agree with Cupz on this one. Someplace in either the owner's manual, or Service manual it tells you two very important pieces of information. 1) Only trickle charge your ATV battery with 0.2 amps or less and 2) Never charge the battery while it is still connected to the ATV.

The way it was told to me was if you charge it with too high amperage too fast it can melt the lead plates together and fry the battery. Also, if it is connected to the ATV and you get a spark connecting or disconnecting the cables you can damage the electrical components of the ATV.

I have not had a huge issue with this but my ATV's do not have the electronic instrument pod nor the fuel injection computer.

Some of the newer AC 400, 500, and 650's also had some issues with the instrument pods going out. I remember seeing where some on here got them replaced under warranty and others could not. I do not remember the exact issues they were having but you can do a search here and probably find it.

Hope this helps and have a Merry Christmas.

Swampy

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs down

Cupsz71,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried them this evening and the gauge still resets constantly. Is there anything else I can try? I did use a 2amp charger to charge the battery. Should I leave the battery disconnected longer? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ron

Originally Posted by cupsz71
I have a few suggestions for ya.

1. DISCONECT the main battery for 10 min.
2. REMOVE the 30amp accessory fuse (green) for 10min.

After the alotted time re-connect everything back up. THis should have re-set your ECM and reset your gauge.

For future reference you should alway dis-connect your battery when charging it...especially if it was dead. Your "wacky" gauge is a common symptom on AC machines when the battery is dead....and then charged.

I use a 1.5amp battery maintainer 24/7 on both my 650 TRV and the wifey's 550H1 EFI with no problems.

Good luck
My .02¢

Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

You could always check the actual connection at the BACK of your instrument cluster. Sometimes it vibrates loose and can cause problems.

You may also want to check your battery voltage. If your battery is bad it could be sending voltage spikes.

That's pretty much all's I got.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried a different battery and the problem still exists. The connection is good. Not sure what else to try. The part is very expensive. I may have to bring to service center to diagnose. I don't know what else to try.

Originally Posted by cupsz71
You could always check the actual connection at the BACK of your instrument cluster. Sometimes it vibrates loose and can cause problems.

You may also want to check your battery voltage. If your battery is bad it could be sending voltage spikes.

That's pretty much all's I got.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by nynj911emt
I tried a different battery and the problem still exists. The connection is good. Not sure what else to try. The part is very expensive. I may have to bring to service center to diagnose. I don't know what else to try.
Well I hate to bring up an old thread but what ever happened with your quad. I have the exact problem and after 5 days I'm stumped. Did everything under the sun but can't stop pod display from resetting. Next move will bring it to my dealer but if you can tell me how you got your fixed that would be great. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just another question here. I think I have narrowed it down to a bad pod or the iginition switch. Has anyone had to replace either of these 2 parts for some reason and if so what was the actual problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2006 Arctic cat 500

Does anyone know how interchangeable the 0520-003 speed gauge is with others such as the 0520-100 ?
My gauge 0520-003 Just keeps resetting and never goes to the display.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Artic cat display

Originally Posted by nynj911emt
When I turn the key on the display would come on and show the status and then reset as if I turned the key off and back on. This keeps happening even after I start the atv. The last thing I did was charge the battery without disconnecting it from the ATV. Did I short something out?
Have similar problems with same atv and it from my experience is the wires behind the display get loose.

Quick Reply: 2006 arctic cat 500 display