Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2010 mud pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 mud pro

when i turn the key the 30 amp ign fuse starts clicking, when i try to start it it does nothing. If i pull the hand brake the odom lights cut off. I just bought a brand new battery a month ago and it ran fine. Rode it everyday and it started fine, let it sit one week and get this. I can jump start it but it kills soon after, has gas and battery is charged. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you measured the battery voltage when you try to start it? almost sounds like a shorted plate in the battery, takes a charge, but has almost no load carrying ability. See what the voltage reads when you push the start button. New or not, any battery can fail if a plate gets shorted or goes bad, I've had several new ones over the years in cars and trucks just go bad almost overnight.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

just tested the new one and it read 10v before start and during start it went down to like 4v. my old one that has been sitting for 2 months has 12v and starting volts go down to 7v.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

New one is shot. it should hold 11.5 to 12 .2 volts just sitting, unless it is 20 below out and it has been sitting for several days. Anything below 9 volts or so when you hit the starter is not good....4 volts is totally shot. Hope that thing has a warranty

Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea it should, but in that case you think there something draining the batteries being that the old one hasn't ran anything in over 2 months nor has it been charged but still has more voltage? Because i charged old one a while back, it would start bike but next day nothing and now this one bust.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

The old battery sounds like its just tired, the new one drops voltage so quick because it is internally bad, doubt there is a drain on it, try disconnecting it from quad, charge it and then check it the next day, I'll bet it will still be 10v or less, I still believe it is a bad battery.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok, ill check it out and thanks for the help

Old 11-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

fully charge it was at 13.4v it started right up then killed few mins later. Now will not crank at all. Tested battery while starting and was at 11.4v. Sounds like it wants to start but nothing.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

If it starts and runs on a freshly charged battery, then dies and won't start shortly after, sounds like you may have lost the output of your stator, and was only running on the juice from the battery, until it got too low. Try this....Charge it up again, start it, and put a meter on the batter while its running. You should see 14.2-13.5 volts on the battery while its running, showing that the stator and regulator are charging it. If the voltage is lower, and keeps going lower, your electrical system is dead, and needs to be looked into. I dont know if you have a main system fuse, or a resetable overload that could be tripped, or if you have a bad regulator, I am not familiar with the electrical system on a newer quad.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

fully charged with 14.1 reading, tried starting with it dropping to 12.7 and nothing. all fuses are good so guessing its one of the other things you mentioned. Dont know anything about those so gonna have to bring it in i guess.

Quick Reply: 2010 mud pro