Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Arctic Cat 90cc Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Arctic Cat 90cc Motor

I just fixed the wiring and got this atv running... then rode it around the yard a few times and it quit. I haven't been able to get it started since. The motor isn't turning fast enough to get it to start, if that makes since. I have tried using the battery charger to jump start it and it still doesn't give it enough power to get it to turn over. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks

Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Range Rover
Cool

Well, I had a loose connection on the fat red wire with a white line where it hooks together in the middle of the frame. I fixed the motor spinning fast enough, but I have a little gas dripping from the bolt on the carb that lets you drain it? I will tear into that tomorrow - not looking forward to smelling like gas all day - I just cant seem to keep from getting gas everywhere (yes even with the gas off)! Wish me luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the o ring seal on the bowl drain could be bad, you could always put a wrap or 2 of Teflon pipe seal tape on the drain bolt threads to help seal. As far as the gas smell, what I have done for years is use Nitrile rubber gloves, you can buy a pack of 100 at Harbor Freight or other discount places for around 10 bucks. they fit like a second skin, so working with small parts is not too hard, and keeps the oil and gas off your skin, so no smell !!.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, I will try the teflon tape, and I am sure I have a rubber o-ring that will fit - actually for some odd reason we do have a brand new package of them that were supposed to go to a grill that apparently never got fixed lol! I will go to Harbor Freight and get some of those gloves! Now, I got the engine to start but as soon as I move the choke the slightest bit, it dies. I know its a carburetor problem, but don't know exactly what to do to fix it. I have took the carb apart and cleaned it, what could it be?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Most times, if it won't idle, the pilot jet or the passage it feeds is plugged. It is a tiny jet just ahead of the main jet, its only function is to supply fuel to the engine while the slide is closed. the holes in the jet are TINY, and plug easy, I have had to use a wire strand from a wire brush to clean them, then spray them out with carb cleaner and make sure all the holes are open, some have holes on the side as well.Then put the straw from the carb spray and make sure the passage to the carb throat is clear. that should clear up the starting and idle problems.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Range Rover

Okay, I will tackle that task today!! I will let you know how it goes, I have to take the carb off anyways to fix that screw at the bottom, so might as well take care of both tasks! Thanks

Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Carb?

Teflon tape worked, I cleaned out the carb again - still don't want to stay running. I got great spark and compression. I got it running and I gave it gas so it wouldn't die, and it worked for a few minutes then died. I am still happy that I got that so far! One more question (yes seriously) is the gas on - up or down? I figured out middle is off (had to figure that one out cause I didn't want to loose all my gas when I took the hose off the carb). Thanks

Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

If it wont stay running, then either your pilot jet or passage is still gummed up, or the air/fuel mixture is not right, it should be about 2 -2.5 turns out from gently seated.
As far as the petcock, they can go a lot of different ways, usually, up is on, horizontal is off, and down is reserve, there shoud be some letters etched into the metal around the petcock lever if you look close.
Sounds like you still need to make sure the pilot circuit is clear, without that, it wont run good, and wont idle or start well.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Range Rover

Oh I forgot to add a piece of probably important information.... What is in my pictures the first one I uploaded of a white part with 2 wires is still not hooked up. I believe this is an electric choke, but I don't think this is the same carb that it would even go on. Will post pictures of carb!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Talking

This is the part that isn't hooked up. From my research... which I have been known to be wrong a time or two , its an electric choke. If there is a place for it on the carb I have, I haven't found it. I am thinking this is the wires that are hooked into my motor... I really could be mistaken on that, if Im not looking at it, then I really cant be for sure. I will check first thing in the morning and get back on that one. What good is this if I don't have it hooked to anything, and I have got it to run without it?

PS: I am still working on the carb, I cleaned it, but will take it apart again and again if I have to till I get this thing running the way its supposed to! I use a sewing needle to get the hard to reach holes in there, its possible I missed one, I will try again tomorrow! Will keep you posted!

Quick Reply: 2004 Arctic Cat 90cc Motor