Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

radiator fan question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator fan question

I have a 2003 AC 400, lately I have noticed my legs getting hot when I ride for a while, and then noticed my radiator fan doesn't kick on like it use to when the motor gets run a while, I checked the fuse and that was good. I by passed the the radiator switch on the motor and the fan still works, so I figured it was a bad switch. I priced out a new switch and that thing costs $140.00. So then I took of the seat and found the wire from the fuse that runs the radiator fan and followed it up to the front of the machine, cut it and spliced in a plug, and then plugged it into the fan. so now when I turn on my ignition switch the fan runs all the time. my question is, will this solve my motor getting hot problem ? And is it ok to by pass the radiator fan like that?

Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yes its fine to bypass the switch. Its better to have the fan run all the time rather than not at all. It will take a little longer to get warmed up especially in the winter just allow it to warm up a little longer if needed.
the only problem i can see is if or when you cross deep water with the fan on, it may blow the fuse. There are a switch type fuse out there that will get tripped if you do go into water too deep. Instead of blowing the fuse it trips it and you can just flip the switch back kinda like your home fuses. Cant say forsure that it will solve your heat issue though. depends if there is anything else wrong. Check the coolant levels,make sure the radiator is clean and clear of crap. I run a hose on mine to ensure mud is cleaned out.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article. I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and
landlord lawyers
intelligent commentary on this subject. Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ac fan

i did the samething to my fan but riding at night with lights on runs batt dead

Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radiator fan question

Originally Posted by stevie13
I have a 2003 AC 400, lately I have noticed my legs getting hot when I ride for a while, and then noticed my radiator fan doesn't kick on like it use to when the motor gets run a while, I checked the fuse and that was good. I by passed the the radiator switch on the motor and the fan still works, so I figured it was a bad switch. I priced out a new switch and that thing costs $140.00. So then I took of the seat and found the wire from the fuse that runs the radiator fan and followed it up to the front of the machine, cut it and spliced in a plug, and then plugged it into the fan. so now when I turn on my ignition switch the fan runs all the time. my question is, will this solve my motor getting hot problem ? And is it ok to by pass the radiator fan like that?
Welcome to the forum stevie13 you can also install a toggle switch that you turn on and off insead of having it on all the time i've seen his done by some of my friends to save the money , they just installed the toggle switch to a wire that only has fire when the igntion switch is turned to the on position , this way you can still turn the fan on and off when needed it's alot cheaper this way and increase the fan's life span aswell this way ; and one other thing your 2003 AC 400 has an oil cooler with the fan to help keep the oil cooled it's not liquid cooled like the bigger Cat's do ; just keep the oil cooler fins clean and if you've not checked your valve clearance checked since you've had it i would check them and adjust them if they're not within valve specs. i have the specs. in my owners manual i'll need to dig it out ; in the meantime one of the other forum members may have them writened down !
There's a site that you can get a free Sevice and Repair manual in pdf at www.k&nlawnmowerrepair.com
I think that"s the url to the site , if not someone can correct me !
williebee......