Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

tri-claws

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 26"triclaws and the 27"triclaws. Is the depth of the lug Different at all.

Old 03-22-2001, 02:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, totally different. Unlike Vampires or Outlaws, the sizes and the look are different from 26 to 27. 27" have a taller lug without the open lug design of the 26".

Old 03-22-2001, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

There are no 26" Tri-Claws. The 27" Tri-Claw Magnums were originally suposed to be 26" Tri-Claws, but when they came out of the mold they were 27" tall (26.5" WITH NO AIR IN THEM!!!!!!). So you see alot of old ads with pictures of the Magnums saying "26"", but they are just the same old 27" Tri-Claws.

Now when you compare them to the 25" Tri-Claws, WOW. What a difference. The lugs on the 27s are about twice the size(width and height) of the 25" tires and the 27" Magnums ride SOO MUCH BETTER you would not believe it.

Trust me when I say this, 26" and below claws can't hang with 27" Magnums. NOt on the trail and not in the mud. There is just no comparision.

Old 03-22-2001, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the 25" Bi/Tri-Claws because I didn't want the Polaris to get any taller and tippier. These are awsome tires and I am really happy with them. They don't ride quite as good as stock on hardpack or ruts, but quite accepatable. The performance in mud and snow is excellent.
If the 27"ers are that much better, I can't imagine wanting anything else.

Old 03-22-2001, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

how much worse than stock do the Tri claws ride? is it more vibration? I am looking to replace the stockers I want a mud tire but also something I can trail ride on with the girlfriend.

Old 03-23-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, if you're looking for a great mud tire, and also a good all-around do everything, go anywhere and beg for more, the Bi/Tri combo will be great for you. Andy and Boner talked me into going with a set and I am damn glad they did! In comparing with the stock 489s, I will say that the 489's seem to hold the top side of a rut a little better-the 'Claws pull you right down into the rut. This worried me a little at first, but once I sunk down into the goop, the 'Claws were right at home, and with very little throttle, I was walking right through stuff that the stock tires didn't have a chance in, no matter how much gas you gave them. The 'Claws love the mud-be carefull though, you'll be covered too, as they like to "share" with you and everyone remotely close to you while riding.

As for smoothness on hardpack, because of the tread design crossing the center line, they are surprisingly smooth. The only time you will really notice the heavy lugs is at just a couple miles an hour. At around 5 mph and up, they're smooth as can be.

Sorry if I sound a little biased towards the 'Claws, but I am. Just got back down out of the hills up at my property in knee deep crystal corn snow-the 'Claws are awesome in that stuff too. Was back towing that damned suburban again, up the hills in the deep stuff. Honestly, if I didn't have the 'Claws on there, there is no way we'd be able to get any where near my property for at least another month or so. Take a look at the "snow pics" at the link below, might give you small idea, though they are from back in December and I haven't posted any good ones since then.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 03-23-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Depends on what size you get. If you go to 27", they will ride great. I rode an Sp 500 with these on it and the only difference I felt between that and a stocker was that the fronts were ALITTLE more rough up to 3 mph and it was taller. ON cement I could not realy feel a difference in power at all. All thought it would not pop the fronts up (not me, someone else doing that) like a stock tired one could.

Old 03-23-2001, 03:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cowboy is a testament to finding out how good Claws really are. When he was considering tires, he had a few in mind, and a few issues that everyone else always has as well. Weight, actual height, whether they would fit without the lift, etc. I haven't heard a negative from him yet, and I never found a negative myself either. Power loss on a 500 is a minimum. Sure they won't handle like a stocker will, but they are a high traction tire like a Vamp so its not to be expected for road racing. Traction is massive. You just wind up with a lot more confidence in many situations. You will gain almost 2" clearance with them as well no matter how you do the math.

Boner is right. They didn't make a 26" Tri-Claw. Only a 26" Bi-Claw, and yes, the 25" Tri-Claw is nothing near the 27" Magnum. If you are considering tires of that size, then your preference is everything. You won't go wrong with a Vampire or a Mudbug or a Mudrunner for that matter either, but the Tri-Claw Magnum is an unbelievable tire. I don't want to sway you from anything, but I can give you my honest testimony that the Claws are superb tires.

Old 03-23-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Even the 25 inch ones are that good? I do not want to get into a big ordeal over new tires. I want to be able to just bolt them on, with no fuss that is why I want to go with a 25 inch. No lift kits. I have heard good things about the tri claws. Thanks guys for the help. Someone in another post said he was going to post here because of the guys are great here, he is right. AC guys are very cool. I sometimes hate to post in the other forums, you do not get a good answer usually you get one guy giving good advice and twenty telling you your quad sucks.
Those pics look cool we have to much snow to drive in right now, I got stuck in the back yard and had to ask my girl friend to come help me shovel it out LOL she just shakes her head at me. I might go with new rims and tire all together so i can just bolt on the stockers for casual rides and the mudders for riding with the mud guys. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-23-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would recomend 25x12x10 589s for the rear and 25x10x12s for the front if you want them on your stock wheels. They are a GREAT all around tire, ride ALOT better than 25" Claws, perform almost as good, but weight alittle more.

Quick Reply: tri-claws