Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Mud pro belt slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snky
Not sure if I can get a video of it but can try after these southern storms. Stall is just because I was a drag racer..lol. it slips bad and if you give it a little more throttle it catches hard with the cover on. Like a stall torque converter. With the cover off absolutely no problems and will ease off with just a nudge of throttle.

It really sounds like you have higher wet clutch engagement springs in. But if that were the case then it would act the same whether the cover was on or not. Can you display RPM's on your POD? If you can then you could tell if the bike is moving, RPM wise, with the cover on or off. It makes no sense, what your describing cause the cover is merely a cover...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If their are no marks on the inside of the cover where the belt would be hitting and the bearing in the cover is good then their is another issue. If the cover is causing the issue you will see a mark were its hitting.
Possible issue is the belt is sitting to high so when the case is on it is getting jammed until you give it more throttle. Im assuming once you get rolling their is no issues

Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
If their are no marks on the inside of the cover where the belt would be hitting and the bearing in the cover is good then their is another issue. If the cover is causing the issue you will see a mark were its hitting.
Possible issue is the belt is sitting to high so when the case is on it is getting jammed until you give it more throttle. Im assuming once you get rolling their is no issues

Your reasoning totally makes sense Zrock but I would think there would be a NOTICABLE noise... and a visible mark on the belt/case where that restriction occurred. Snky???? any evidence of what Zrock mentions?

For some reason I cant upload pics in this post, but if you look in my gallery you'll see clutch kit install pics. In there you'll see 3 pics of my belt on the secondary. 1 before the clutch kit and 2 after. You'll see a NOTICABLE difference in the height of the belt sitting in the secondary after installing smaller diameter rollers and a 60 thousands shim. I was worried about the belt hitting the cover but it didn't. But nevertheless you should see some sign of wear on not only the belt but the case if in fact it's hitting...

Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The case has no visible touching from anything. IE: the belt. primary or secondary. I think I am going to put a new bearing in the case and try that. It rally makes no since.
Btw I have put clutch kits in other bikes before and this dont feel the same. really feels like I have a manual clutch, rev and dump it. Backing up I have to hit the override button to make it back up any type of incline. Take the cover off and it backs up easy.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck... let us know what you find works...

Old 02-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well best I can tell there is too much end play in the crankshaft. If I get a hold of the primary I can move it up and down some. I took the cover off of my other mud pro and tried it. It's making it rev for the belt to catch with the cover on. I think I may just junk this one. Too hard to find parts and way to high. I called the local dealer here and they said since its a 700 the cant even get a head gasket or jug gasket. If it had been a 650 it would have been no problem.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Your dealer on crack? The 700mp is still in production. The 650 is hard to find. Did I miss something here?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what they told me. No parts. They said if I wanted that bearing I'd have to go to motion industries and get them to match it up. I did check Ebay and very few things I could find there. If it's a 650 the parts are plentiful there.
BTW I may be wrong and that is a clutch shaft maybe with the end play. It's on the primary that I can move up and down. Anyone know if it possible a bearing there that I can get to or is it something I need to split the case for?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is my other 700. Cant find much info on it being black. True mud pro or was something changed? It is a 700 and appears to be factory snorkeled

Old 02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Strange I would be hard pressed to find anything other than a 700mp in this area even the 700 non mp are a dime a dozen. Usually the black units are a limited or special addition

Quick Reply: Mud pro belt slip