Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 Artic Cat 500 leaking gas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least you are zeroing in on it. I'm thinking you might try taking a Q-Tip with some carb or brake cleaner and try turning it on the seat. If you could find a fine Dremel bit with the same angle as the needle (last case scenario) and ever so carefully our it on the seat face, kinda like lapping the valves on a motor. Any way, when you get it done, you'll have your PHD in Keihin CV Carb tuning, then you might want to try a Dynojet Stage 1 kit, if only for the adjustable needle and spring and then drill the slide 1/8". Throttle response will be excellent

Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Only thing I don't like about Keihin carbs. If a seat gets damaged or worn too far to be able to seal correctly the carb is useless.Might as well get a new one.Didn't like them in my old Honda. Mikunis at least have screw in/push in seats and you can keep these carbs usable for years.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Might as well buy a carb �� $466.00 on eBay. The dremel is too much of a risk at this point. After removing and replacing 7 times now if it didn't work I might try to blow up the earth. Im very unhappy with Keihim carb seats now! Regardless of that I am so happy knowing there are people like you folks willing to be awesome and help people without any earthly gain. Thank you with all my heart, y'all are truly Awesome!
CA Johnson

Old 12-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cleaning the seat and raising the float level didn't help on the dripping? Saw the carb on ebay you're looking at,but there's one listed cheaper.Bargain Arctic Cat 500 Carburetor On Sale Today Plus have you checked that the leaking may be coming from the primer area,bad diaphragm leaking through the primer cover?

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Artic Cat 500 leaking gas.-canvas.png  

Last edited by old polaris tech; 12-13-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Primer diaphragm
Old 12-14-2016, 05:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

No sir, I thoroughly cleaned the seat with a few q-tips saturated with carb cleaner and didn't even get any discoloration on the q-tips. I cleaned and replaced the diaphragm which looked fine and had good compression. Also I progressively spread the twang until the needle valve was nearly closed and it still flooded every time. I've removed and replaced it so much that the plastic threads on the throttle cable are worn badly. I hate to keep trying with this carb. The carb you referenced is in the Ukraine which scared me away. Have y'all bought from there or are they trustworthy ya think?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think I stay with the carb you located. I just saw the listing on the cheaper carb,but didn't check into where it was at.I'd be a little leery about sending $ to Ukraine,you may not get the carb or your money back.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Unbelievable!

I put the brand new carb on my cat and it did the same thing the old carb did. Flooded and poured out the bottom. It's brand new not re manufactured. Everything was tight and right going on. Thoughts?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i would check the float. With getting bounced around during shipping things could be out. Personally i would have ordered a mikuni carb they are so simple and reliable

Also just noticed that you stated the machine sat emptie for a while. did you clean out the tank and replace or clean the fuel lines? All that dried crap i the tank and lines could be causing u issues as well

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

It did sit empty but the tank and carb were thoroughly cleaned before starting it. The float, seat and needle valve are all good just like on the used carb that I senselessly replaced.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

What's the chances this could be due to an improper idler screw setting that's being compensated for by opening the choke slightly?