Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

98 arctic cat 300 start in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 arctic cat 300 start in gear

I have a 1998 arctic cat 300 4x4 I know this has been talked about before but I can not seam to figure out how to get my 4X4 to start in gear it is to old to have the start with the brake on I have tried. I have found out a back door for say on how to do it with may brake with the reverse wire but I don't want to have the neutral light turn on every time i pull on the brake. Is there a way do make it start with the brake on but not make the light come on every time i pull the lever.

I would also like to know if there is a way I can wire a light to come on with my reverse lever so when i am plowing snow I can see behind me.

If any one could help me with the start in gear problem that would be great and thanks in advance

Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

Download a parts manual from <mymowerparts.com> Look closely at the wiring diagram. Hope that will show you the culprit. My 02 AC 400 needed a rebuild kit for the master cylinder to create sufficient pressure for it to start. I'm not sure how the older ones did it, but I suspect there is a safety mechanism of some sort.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

usually their is a little switch on the bottom/side of brake master. The switch operates off the brake handle. Sometime the little tab gets bent and the start in gear feature will not work anymore

Old 05-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I got it

I have found out how to do it I will attach a pic i drew up on how i did it. I pulled the blue/white wire out of the plug that goes in to the neutral relay and plugged it in to a diode I found in a just car out back (I am sure you can go to the local parts store and ask for a diode) and ran it in the side that has the arrow facing the line
Then ran a wire from the red wire on the rear brake light to the relay and hooked it to number 86 because the hole system runs on ground and the red wire from the brake light is positive so that will make the relay turn on. I took a wire from ground and ran it to number 85 to give the relay ground and then ran it to 30 so that I can have the ground that the system wants. then from 87 I ran a wire to the other side of the diode and then back to the plug that I pulled the wire out of.
Now when I pull the brake lever in any gear the quad will start

If any one has any questions on how I did any of that please feel free to get a hold of me

this is a little drawing I made hope it helps

Old 05-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I downloaded that, just in case.