Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Arctic Cat 500 Manual losing pod at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Arctic Cat 500 Manual losing pod at idle

The pod stops working when the ATV is idling.

The pod works fine, usually, when the bike is running. Sometimes, very rarely, it doesn't work until I turn the steering wheel left and right a bit but when it turns on it will not turn off no matter how I move the steering wheel. I thought it may have a wire that needs replacing.

The voltage on idle is ~12.3 whilst the voltage off idle is ~14.3.

Does anyone have any ideas and methods of diagnosis I may try?

The bike also started backfiring when I make an abrupt stop. Would increasing the idle RPM fix this?

Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

First try removing the plug that goes into the pod, clean up the terminals, and put some dielectric grease. But, your instinct of a chafed wire around the steering post is likely. Remove the plastics, inspect the wiring harness in that area carefully. If you find a chafe, fix it and slide some split loom over the harness for insurance. As far as 12.3 volts at idle, that is not bad, but could mean the battery is starting to go south. At idle the magneto is not able to charge, you are reading the battery voltage. Once up off idle, it should show charging at 14+ volts- normal. Don't know about the backfiring, usually it means that the pilot jet is slightly plugged, needs to get blown out. Could also mean that you need to turn out the PMS screw a tad. So try cleaning the carburetor, check that the float is set at 17 mm, then, you might try richening the PMS a quarter turn out. Lastly see if you can find a test tachometer, idle should be 1250 rpms once warmed up.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to thank you for the help, I'll be looking at the bike as soon as possible.

I tried Reddit before ATV Connection and they just kept posting things like "Arctic Cat Sucks, sell it" instead of actually helping. ATV Connection is way more receptive and I appreciate it.