Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 arctic cat 500 4x4 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 arctic cat 500 4x4 won't start

Let me start by saying I traded a guy my running 87 suzuki quadrunner 300 for this bike. He said he rode it and drove it home then the next day it wouldn't start. I have found water in the wet box and looks like mud residue in the air box. He hasn't admitted to swamping it but I'm treating it like it was.

So far I've cleaned the carb, put a new spark plug in, changed the oil. It wasnt milky at all just old. I reset the valve clearances. I also rest the fuel air screw to factory almost 2 turns but not quite.

Its getting gas and spark but it just wont start. If I flood it a little it will spit and sputter but only as long as I'm holding the starter button. The pull start is quite hard to pull but if you pull past the hard spot u can rip it for two full strokes. The crankcase tube that hooks up to the air box blows smoke as I'm trying to crank as well. Not sure what that's about and could be the issue.

The only other thing I could do bufore a full teardown is checking the timing but I'm getting mixed search result on that. Some say its cdi controled and others say u can adjust it.

Oh and not the started isn't working. Its acting like it burned out but when I hooked it straight to a battery with it taken of the engine it spins over but as soon as I put it in the engine it won't spin. The solenoid says it putting out almost 13 volts so I dont think thats it. I'm at a lose on this bike so any help is appreciated. The gear selector wiring harness want to fry 2 wires as well. The two on there own clip are the ones doing it.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I got the starter to work. My ground wasnt good so I redid it. Cleaned the carb again lol and its trying to start but I just can't. I got it so stay popping off for a few compression strokes after letting the starter go. It sounds like timing but I need input on the timing.

Info on timing for this machine would be good. Ty

Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Timing doesn't just normally just get off. If you have a good spark, I'd suspect it's not getting fuel. First check that it's getting gas to carburetor, then check that the pilot jet is not plugged . Still no go, check compression. If you have a pull start, it should pull really hard to start. Too easy would be a bad indication. 1 hint, when you hit a wall, before you pull out all your hair, take it to the dealer.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default It's alive

Ok so I said screw it and winged it with the timing. I cracked it open and it was like 3 teeth off. So I went tdc on the stroke and realigned the sprocket. But it back together and it runs. Not perfect but its running and if it's as good as it gets then its acceptable but my issue is this. I already did my valves but they are tapping. Not bad but I can hear them and I don't want to lol. So my question is this. Are the off because the timing was off? Doesn't really make sense but I guess its possible. Again any help is much appreciated.