Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

"That would have made a good clip for Jackass"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after about 15 people asked me to go on a ride with a few people from school I decided to go ahead and ride. I was gonna put my stock tires on for the ride but I was riding around with my dad all day Friday (I put in an application in at a soon to be Arctic Cat dealership) so I ended up just running low pressure in my claws (15 psi- down from 40 psi) and going to the ride. I though we were gonna be doing alittle mudding. Turns out I was the only one to even hit a couple holes. First hole I made it threw in 2nd gear high range with no problems, but that 2nd hole was so think and deep it bogged me down to an ALMOST complete stop in high range. So I had to put it in low range and I was pretty much already stuck there. I went back and forth in it trying to work my way out. At the end of the hole I would get almost out, but my TRI-CLAWS were SLICK from this thick mud and I was rocking so hard that my left side was coming completely off the ground. So I backed up to the begining of the hole and let a stock 300 4x4 give me a slight tug out. After that I looked at my wheels/tires and they looked exactly like a big brownie mix donut ball. The front wheels were just a SOLID mud ball. I used me hands to take some of the mud out, but it was still full. So I put it in high range and kept on going, noticeing a big power drop cause of all the unsprung weight. But it went and I just went along with them, (lanching mud all over the place). Then we went to Chet's house, get someone else to ride and fill up the 400ex. Then we went look for others to ride.

They were pretty impressed with my cat and how I was burning a 2wd Rancher when his speed o was reading 45 mph(he wasn't toped out). And I pulled up along side of the 400ex, then he left me like I was a on a scotter.

Well after that we got to someone's house to find out they were not there, so Chet (400ex owner/rider) traded with Kelly (who was on a 250 2-stroke suzuki trial bike) and rode the Suzuki. He then told me we were going jump.

So I followed them and went over the jump, getting very little air the first time. Then I went around to jump again. I was following the 2wd rancher and saw he got about 1 foot of air then I got on it in 2nd gear high range and wanted to get alittle more air. Turns out it was more than the cat could handle. With the claws and all the mud the front just nosed over and my rear wheels went skyward.

I remeber haveing my eyes open enough to see the gun rack as I was flying over the handle bars. Then the next thing I saw was the rear rack coming right at me as I was on my back on the ground. So I rolled out of the way and stood up in time to see the rear rack hit the ground. Then I saw gas leaking, so I flipped it back over (I think one of them helped) on all 4s and saw the steering was out of wack. So I said, "Looks like I broke a tie rod" and I turned the handle bars. "AWW yea it's broke" someone said. So I went to the front to look and found that my CV boot had twisted up so bad that grease was shooting out of the ends of the boot. Then I juggled it alittle to find the CV was broken. I then turned my attention to the tie-rods to find that they were ok, but the knuckle had broken.

So, someone said I could not ride it home. I decided to try anyway. I cranked it up and it started FIRST CRANK, but smoked like a SOB due to the oil coming up in the combustion chamber. But it ran so I gave it the gas (it was now in 1st gear some how, not in 2nd gear) and it started going but the right front was WAY out of wack it and it wouldn't turn in the direction I wanted at all. But that rolling did tear the CV into 2 peices. I said I was gonna walk over to the house we had just went to (300 yards away) and go request to use the phone, but the 2wd Rancher had a Cell phone in the storage box, So they called my dad to come pick me up with the trailer.

We then got on the quads(I got on the back of the Rancher) and went to a store not far from there.

Then Kelly told me, "That would have made a good clip for Jackass, I mean it wasn't funny at first when we didn't know if you were ok, but after you think about it, it's realy funny". So, it wasn't all bad after all.

Old 05-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

boner,wow man.what a ride glad you walked away from that ok ,my bro in law was riding his 300 ex around 35 mph and tried to launch over a railroad tie,fronts made it rear end went skyward bike landed on him and busted him up pretty good ,bike was only 2 months old ,needless to say frame was bent and battary tray was all wacked out.he fixed bike but took him a month to recover.once again glad you were not hurt.zigy

Old 05-13-2001, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

that cat of yours must have 9 lives, or is it the rider?
glad to hear you're alright. imagine how you would feel right about now if that 700+ lbs landed on you.
if only you had taken off that lift kit, none of this would have happened. hehe.............

Old 05-13-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

One of my friends let my wifes little sister ride his Polaris 325 Expedition last year. She was 18 at the time and it was her first 4 wheeler adventure with us. On my land we have a couple of little sand hills next to our stock ponds. She started out slow for the first hour or so and got used to the shifter and steering. Later she started going faster and decided to wiz by us standing on top of the sand hills. She was going pretty fast and was on the side of the hill and she couldn't keep it straight due to the angle and gravity helped her steer right into the stock pond. Anyone that has seen a stock pond knows that cows walk into it and leave trenches. When the front end hit the trench it flipped with her on it TWICE before it landed in the water on top of her! We had to swim out to the thing! She was fine but the quad turned into a boat anchor fast. She lost her t-shirt and sun glasses and both shoes! It was scary at first but after she swam out and walked around we all died laughing! Don't ask me what happened to her clothes but it was weird! We came back this fall and the pond was pretty well dried up and there in the mud was a pair of shoes, a shirt and some sun glasses. We died laughing again! The polaris survived but not without some serious water removal efforts and a deep swim to latch on to it. She went to the doctor the next day because her neck hurt some and even he was trying not to laugh. We have since placed her in "4 wheeler time out". You haven't seen funny till you see a 4 wheeler flip twice with someone still on it and the throttle pegged wide open and then slam into the water like a 700 pound sumo wrestler from a high dive platform! I know I sound like a heartless ******* but since everyone was ok including the polaris it is too damn funny! I have since removed the sand hills and made more road out of them incase someone else decides to turn a quad into a u-boat.

Dakota R/T

Old 05-13-2001, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I think I bumped the handle bars when I was going over them, because I have a small bump there. Other than that I got lucky.

I'm sorry about the post being not so good, but I was typing it while running back and forth. Was getting ready to go to the Go-cart races.

While I was running around I went take a look at my cat and noticed that I messed up that gasket farther by going threw that mud hole and reving it out like I did. So, now I have about a cup of oil on my skid plate.

I just hope my front diff didn't lock up, cause that is realy gonna make my repair bill shoot up. If it did lock up, I'm gonna have to go to Marengo in 2wd I guess. But I will be riding my cat at marengo, some how some way.

Old 05-13-2001, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Just went check it out and found a couple more things to fix. Brake resivor is cracked and leaking fluid onto my fenders, I guess I'll be brakeless at Marengo(Not waiting for a back ordered part). Also found that my left front CV boot has a pin hole in it too now.

Anyone think a different brand (honda, suzuki, polaris, etc.) brake resivor will fit??

Old 05-14-2001, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer

Which 1 do you have? plastic or metal? I have 3 new plastic... Bill

Old 05-14-2001, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Boner if you dont find 1 , I have a new 1 from my
500 A.C. glow@seidata.com

Old 05-14-2001, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Why you have 3 of them??

I have a plastic one but would rather swap it out for a steel one(from any brand of Quad) if possible, do you know if it's possible???

If not, How much do you want for one of them??

Old 05-14-2001, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

They were warranty for my 00 when I had brake problems. They kept giving them to me and it was not the problem. I think they cost $113 hows $50 whithout the lever... Bill