Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Minnesota to Utah and back

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well were back! We got home Sunday night, had a great time, we drove 3,800 miles and saw a lot of country. The first day I drove 740 miles and stayed at Devels tower Wyoming. The next day we headed across the big horn mountains to Rock Springs Wyoming where I had a blowout with a trailer tire so we spent the night. Woke up the next morning to about 2" of snow, gezz I just cant get away from that stuff. We got the Tire fixed and headed out. Got down to Panguitch about 4:00 and went right out to Casto Canyon. I had read about the ATV trail that runs thru Casto Canyon in a old Dirt Wheels magazine that I have. Alex and I off loaded the WarPony and LittleBad at the trail head and off we went. We drove it's intire length stoping every once in a while to take in the scenery. On the way back I broke a tierod end on the WarPony about 2 miles from the truck. I dont know if any of you have broke a Tierod end before but it's next to inpossable to steer. What I had to do was take the "U" bracket that holds rear Kimplx bumper to the rear rack and use it with a long bolt to hold the tie rod to the steering post then limp it back to the trail head. The next day we took in the sights at Bryce Canyon National park then head to the Arctic Cat dealer at Cedar City to get a new Tie rod end. I tryed calling daryll (UtahRanchRider) but your little girl (?) said you were not home. I also tryed to call the next day at your work but you were in a meeting or something. I did'nt need anything,just wanted to say hi. After I got my part in Cedar City we headed over to Zion national park, man is that place inpressive. We took the scenic drive thru the tunnel and camped at the east end of the park. Looking back now we should have headed back to the Panguitch airea but instead we headed out to the Blanding/4-corners airea. on the way we stoped at the Glen canyon Dam and took the dam tour . We drove thru Monument valley and stoped and bought some frybread from the Navajo. Tasted just like the frybread that mom makesWe pulled in to Blanding and looked up the Arctic Cat dealer to see where we could ride. We ended up driving about 20 miles or so down a dirt road thru the Ute Indian Rez. we off loaded the cats and drove up Mt.linnaeus. I tell you, both there and at Casto canyon It was HOT & DUSTY beautiful country but DUSTY!!. You Utah guys must be cleaning your air filter after every ride. I would like to do this trip again but nextime we will go in the fall when its not so hot and dusty maybe, time it with the Rocky Mt. Jamberee. The rest of the trip back we went to Vail Colorado, Rocky Mt. national Park, Estes Park, And the Black Hills. All in All it was a fun adventure for my son and myself. We dident get to do as much riding as we would have liked to but I tell you kids grow up so fast that the time we spent together on this trip was priceless. Ill have pix up soon if anyone's intrested.
scotto
1999 Arctic cat 500 "warpony"
2000 Arctic cat 500 auto "LittleBad"
p.s. sorry for the spelling,, I'm just to lazy to spell check

Old 06-12-2001, 12:13 PM

Wow, sounds like a great trip!! I can't wait till my son is old enough to take a trip like that, just the two of us. I've always told my wife that he is hers untill he turns 5, then he's "MINE".

Oh yea, how was the "Damn" tour? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2001, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Scotto,
Glad you had a great trip out to Gods country. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] hehehe I was just teling these guy in another post that they just don't clean their air filters often enough. hehehe I have to clean mine just about after every ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Next time you come out to Utah let us know and we can hook up on the Piaute trail or out on the San Rafel Swell. I am glad you made it back home safely.
Those times with the kids are the best. I know I take my girls out with me each time I go riding with our club. The moments we share together are just like you said "priceless"

Old 06-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Scotto-
Sounds like you had an awesome trip to say the least-glad to hear it, and glad you guys made it back home safely with no troubles. Sorry about the tie-rod-did they get it fixed alright or fast enough for you that it didn't hold you up too long? Yeah, I'd definately like to see the pictures of your adventures whenever you get the chance.

Take care,

Mike

Old 06-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Scotto, I feel bad I missed your calls. I got the message at work shortly after you called but had no way to get in touch with you. Glad to hear you had a fun and safe trip. Did people treat you pretty good in Utah? Most people here are friendly, especially in the out lying areas. It's funny, I've lived in Utah all of my life yet I haven't seen nearly as much of the State as I'd like. I never knew Casto Canyon existed until last month, what an incredible place.

I'm with you about the dust and the heat. I actually prefer to ride in the snow (late fall or early spring).

Old 06-13-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Hey scott. Did the AC guys ever figure out your problem that you had with you 00 (CAT) you where having a cooling problem right? I talked to you at the sink hole on sat. of the ATVAM weekend up in ISLE. I was wearing the Yellow helmet with the 2 week old 500(Cat). Just wanted to say hi.
Thanks
01' Cat 500

Old 06-14-2001, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Whats UP, Sounds like an awesome trip.
I got you quad up on the TEAM CRUSH'EM!!! I got one pic under rides and another under Rep Top ATV Trial of you going through the sink hole.
I might be getting a new quad soon and thinking of getting a AC 500 man. Can it pull 28x12.5 outlaws all the way around with out any power mods that is what i heard. I went to MUD JAM 2001 in pillager, MN over last weekend. And working on getting my pics up. I got 2nd place in my class.
LATER

Old 06-18-2001, 02:05 AM
Range Rover

Living in Utah all my life and there is only a few places i've been. We are going to the piaute next weekend for the first time. If any of you have been there I could use some info on fun trails to take. I have to worry about the wife and kids behind me so not to rough.I want the scenic too or i'll be in trouble. What town is the best to stay at? Help me out guys....

Old 06-18-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

The west side is definetly more scenic. Marysvale is about the most central place that you can stay and ride from. They have a web site at www.marysvale.org It is about the most indepth web page for the Piaute ATV Trail. Although Richfield wouldn't be too bad of a place to stay either. Most all the trail as really easy. I would suggest getting a map and studying it. You can also find information about the Piaute ATV Trail on the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree and the Fillmore ATV Jamboree at www.moorracing.com. I think the Fillmore ATV Jamboree is this coming weekend also. If it is then it may be crowded on some of the trails.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:05 AM
Range Rover

Mike,
I went to the AC dealer in Cedar City and bought 2 tie rod ends. Now I carry one in my tool pouch. This was the 2nd one I broke. The Inner right broke a few weeks before the trip. I should of got a spare then. Running the 28x12.5's on the frount puts a lot of strain on them and on other frount end parts.
scotto

Quick Reply: Minnesota to Utah and back