Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

ELK HUNT

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 04:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
Where are you moving exactly? Is it any closer to Texas than the panhandle of Idaho? J/K. I hope the move goes well, but would still like to know where you will be living if it is the elk capitol of the state. Looking forward to next year.

waco4whlr

Old 06-20-2001, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

Elk City!!! sits in between five wilderness areas,almost to Montana. Closer to Texas but farther from the main drag. Population within 40 mile radious is less than 400.The place I plan on buying sits on the American river at 4,000+ feet, forest boundry is half mile from the house.LOTS OF GAME OF ALL KINDS.
Jim

Old 06-20-2001, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

I'm just tuning in. Is this an open invite? Can tags be purchased over-the-counter? Have hunted S.W. Montana for several years in late 80's early 90's, but getting tougher and more expensive to draw a tag. Did manage to take a bull-of-a-lifetime.....scored 350" - had 20" Royals.....that was off of public property w/o a guide (sure, there is always some luck involved). He is now in my living room - couldn't get him down the basement after I shoulder mounted him - the problems you like to have.......

Old 06-21-2001, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

P.J;This is an open invite,don't know where I'll be though.I plan on moving to elk city within the next few weeks. Depends on how fast paper work goes. The reason Ineeded to know if they were comming is I would make the 200 mile trip for those that already bought their tags,if they had'nt bought them I wont have to come back over here.
Jim

Old 06-21-2001, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer

Mike; OCT 10 TO NOV 3
Jim

Old 06-21-2001, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

Jim-
Thanks for the info, I'll write that down. My elk season runs from Oct. 27-Nov.4th. I have to be here for that, so those dates are out for sure. Our deer season runs Oct.13-21st, and till the 26th for whitetail in certain area's where I hunt. I'm not too worried about getting a deer this year-I found a pretty good spot where I should have no problem finding a legal buck-I've scouted it VERY thoroughly for basically the last year and know what they do, where they go, etc. The late season runs Nov. 10-18th, that would be fine hunting too for whitetail. Nothing very big, but will definately be legal size (3pt. min on one side).

I REALLY want to make it over there to try and hunt with you. I currently still have no job yet, so that naturally will take precidence-though when I do get hired where ever it may be, I will definately be telling them that I will be gone for that part of Oct. thru November, that if they hire me, I hope they understand that. If I am able to make it, I will come to you at your new place-if that's OK. Will you have room for me to put up a tent someplace nearby, or is there a motel anywhere close? If I come, most likely it will be me by myself-and my 'Cat of course. I haven't bought my tag yet, so if it's for a different area, let me know, I'll write it down for future reference, hoping that I can make it. I'm sorry-I guess I should ask you if you plan on hunting in your new area? I don't want you to have to drive that far back, so I'll come to you-especially if our chances are better! heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, better get going. Let me know what you think, if that would sound alright to you or not, or if you would prefer something else altogether.

Mike

-Oh, Good luck with the move too-should be coming up here pretty quick???

Old 06-21-2001, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

Mike; will have room at either place,tent or other wise. I live to hunt amd hunt to live.
Jim

Old 06-21-2001, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

Jim.....sounds like you have enough going on this year. Maybe next year(?). Things should have settled down for you by then. Do you bow hunt? Would like to try my hand at out-smarting a bull when they are bugling.

Old 06-21-2001, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

P.J.I do bow hunt, and am willing to try just about anything.lol.Shoot a grizzly supreme @80#
Jim

Old 06-21-2001, 10:21 AM
Range Rover

I shoot a Mathews UltraMax @ 70# - good for 300FPS w/ my carbons + 100 grain heads. I own some good whitetail property in Wisconsin - we grow muley size whitetail here - maybe we should work on a hunt swap.

Quick Reply: ELK HUNT