Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

SOLD THE 01 500 AUTO YESTERDAY

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]Well it's gone,it was a good bike but not for the kind of riding that I do. I just got tired of water in the belt and trying to keep it out. In the war, man against water water allways wins. Look at the grand canyon. But I want to have a good time losing, and winning a battle every now and then. So I'm on a loaner until the dealer gets a 02 500 man. in. I looked at some other bikes but it is hard to give up the suspension of the AC. The new grizz just isn't as flexable as I like, l front r rear tires on a parking bumper and l rear is off the ground. My sons 250 AC will keep all 4 on the ground as well as a 500 AC in the same test. The Prarie is out because of the solid axle. But both of these bikes have GREAT power but it doesnt do any good if you can't get it to the ground. They feel like more of a sport bike than a utility. Plus they are belt drive, and I have swore off belts forever! So that only leaves AC. By the way Boner you were right you tried to tell my to go with the manual rather than the auto but I didn't listen.

Old 07-15-2001, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

MudCat-
Best of Luck with the new machine! Are you going for the standard '02 500 man, or the '02 500i? Either way, if you wouldn't mind, keep us posted on how you like the new machine. I'm interested to hear what others think-especially about the new IRS, I've heard it's a pretty great ride. Sorry to hear the Auto didn't work out for you-though on the bright side, guess you get a brand new machine, with more ground clearance!

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 07-16-2001, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looks like a 500i manual for you man. That bike looks like its going to be something awesome. 10" of travel all the way around would have to have a good ride. I know 7" rides pretty dang good as it is. The 12" of clearance is something else. You are right about the Grizz on the parking bumps. I had did the same thing and yes indeed a tire is up. The AC has all four down with the swingaxle. I think the anti-sway bar on the griz is just a half assed idea that didn't have much though put into it. My take is they figured it would need it, and then just rigged something up so they could put the bike in stores quicker. Polaris's IRS setup is a lot better I think. As far as ride, the Griz is better than the AC. It really has a good ride, and the seat is good. I'm guessing that and clearance give it a good rating in 2 of the 3 IRS advantage categories. I wonder if the AC will have a sway bar? I doubt it will, but I don't know why I think that. I guess cause I haven't seen it yet. I wonder how important it is anyway.

I'm shaky on the automatic as well. Its just different, mainly in technical stuff. As far as water, I guess I'll see on that. Good luck with your manual when you get it. The best thing is that it basically leaves nothing to chance.

Old 07-16-2001, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

mudcat im getting ready to trade my 400 4x4 AC manual shift in on a 02 AC auto 500.I read where you had problems with your automatic.Autos are not very watertight i take it.I have never owned an automatic,maybe i should stick to a manual shift,less stuff to worry about.Do alot of trail riding but hardly ever pull anything with my quad.Guess im getting older wanting the auto.Any replies good or bad about the automatic would be appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2001, 09:19 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 auto and love it. I have ony got water in the belt housing one time. I don't ride in a lot of rack deep water, mainly just small stream crossings or knee deep mudholes on the trail. If you don't ride in a lot of really deep water, I think the auto is the way to go. Good luck with your decision, the new bikes look like they are going to be awesome!

Old 07-16-2001, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'm getting the act not the i. We ride in a lot of woods where the timber has been cut and lots of brush, 4 cv boots are enough to worry about. I know a few people with sportman 500s and they have trouble keeping cv joints in them with bigger tires. Allthough 12" all the way through would be nice. I would rather have the durability, I ride double with my wife quite often and with the extra weight it may even out.
gvance If you don't ride in a lot of water you will not have a problem. I liked the idea of not shifting but I just couldn't keep the water out and I got a chance to sell it so I jumped on it. Also the 02s have a redesinged vent system that really looks good and it may be adaptable to the older bikes. Are you getting yours at Arctic Cat of Mt.vernon? that is who I deal with and have had real good luck with them. Ed really tries to keep his customers happy. But I have bought 3 soon to be 4 bikes from him, 00 eton 50, 01 500a, 01 2504x4 and soon 02 500m. Plus sent at least 10 customers that bought from him. When you get it maybe we can get together and do some riding some time.
It is supposed to be in this week so I hope to let you all know how it compares to the other bikes.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

It's just one of those cases where you have to live and learn for yourself. Atleast by getting the Auto Cat you now can get a 2002 model instead of the 2001 model manual you would have gotten if I would have talked you into it.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]This is true so very true. The only way I got the wife to go along with it was that she didn't like the auto from the begining. I don't know whyeither, I liked it untill it got wet and wouldn't go. They are louder and put off more heat too.
What are your opinions of the 500i models and other irs bikes? My sons 250 has a great ride and is real flexy. But he has tore 3 rear boots on it in 2 months 1 with the gaurds.

Old 07-16-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I would PROABLY get the 500i if I were getting one, but I love my ACT rear suspension so much I'm not to sure about it. I would have to realy be impressed with it to get it over the ACT Suspension.

I need to talk to Scott Smith from High Lifter, I seen a VERY intersting thing that he did with the CV boots on the front of his Wolverine that I would like to try. I'll let you guys no more when I have more info.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:24 AM
Trailblazer

trailblazer,mudcat,boner.Thanks for your honest replies.Im leaning towards the manual shift 500 4x4 02.Mudcat i deal with ed in mt.vernon,he is good people.Always have had good luck with ed.I got to thinking about some of the mudholes we go through are pretty nasty and deep,so ill stick with the manual shift.Was going to keep my 400 01 till i seen the new body style,looks like a jeep cherokee in the front.Hats off to AC.Again thanks to everybody who replied.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: SOLD THE 01 500 AUTO YESTERDAY