Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hunting...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not quite season yet, but I just checked our special permit app's, and I got drawn for a cow tag this year! I'm kind of excited as our area is a "spike only" zone, so now that I got a cow tag, this will be the first year, in my 5 years of elk hunting now-pretty cool! Granted, it doesn't guarantee I'll get one, but it sure increases the chances of actually taking something home! As I put in for a "partnership" draw, I believe my partner was also drawn-I think it's a "team" thing. So, as I got it, he should too I think.

Anyway, hunting is a huge love of mine, was one of the main reasons I got the 'Cats. I got to use my 'Cat last year to help haul out somebody else's spike bull, while towing the guys 450s at the same time. I'm hoping this year I'll be hauling out my OWN animal! I didn't have the 'Cat with me when I shot my deer last season, so we had to do it the old fashioned way-dragging it.

At any rate, just hoped to put a little "sparkle" in any other hunters eyes out there. -Didn't want to be the ONLY one itching for the season to roll around, I can smell it now!

Best of luck guys,

Mike

Old 07-16-2001, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Man Cowboy you have no idea how bad I still want to come up there and hunt with you guys. I went to the range yesterday and fired off some nice 5 shot groups with my Winchester Model 70 in 7 mm Rem Mag which loves 139 grain Hornaday Custom boattails. I only use a 3x9 32mm scope since almost every shot I could shoot down here is less than 150 yards. I have a 4x12 44mm I want to use but it is overkill right now. Whitetail down here are nice but they are so plentiful that it is like shooting your dog because you see them everyday. I hope we get some rain soon or it will be another small buck season down here. I saw where you guys are getting some warm temperatures up there and some fires racing around. I want that all important picture of a nice buck on the back of my Cat. Good luck finding a keeper!

Dakota R/T

Old 07-16-2001, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,
I am pretty much in that same boat as you. We hunt in a spike only area and so we put in for cow tags. I am not sure yet if we have drawn out. I think we find out this week. Are group always has had great success. Not every tag was filled but we generally fill most of them. I am looking forward to it this year. I think are group will most likely end up being my dad and me this year. Everyone else is saying they can't afford to go or they have other comittments. So, I am not sure how much success we will have this year. Any way good luck on your hunt, I wish you all the success and safe hunt.

Old 07-16-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

T where do you hunt? I hunt the manti and fish lake for spike bulls. put in for fish lake for cow I get to hunt on a friends land it is in the middle of 3 cwmu's pritty good hunting.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

We put in for cows on the Manti up out of mayfield. This year if we don't draw out then we are going to go for the spikes on the back side of Fishlake. This is where we used to hunt deer. Its been about 10 years since we were over there hunting. There is supposed to be a big herd that ranges in that area.
Gee, I wish I had a friend that would let me hunt on their property. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

when you come down on the 28th for the Special Olympics ride we can talk about it.