Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'01 500 squeeking, creaking chassis noise???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I need HELP!!!

I have a 500 autocat with 700 miles on it. Most of these miles have been over steep, rocky terrain. I am getting some very loud noise when crawling over rocks and/or uneven ground. It sounds like metal creaking. It seems to happen when the chassis is flexing. Is there a bushing or contact point that is prone to do this? The noise seems to be under the front of the seat or possiblt under the tank. Without stripping all of the plastic off I can't seem to pinpoint it. Has anyone else heard of this or have any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Check and make sure the shocks are not rubbing on the springs. Mine did that. Sounded like metal scraping as the suspension articulated.

Old 09-26-2001, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Like Dakota said, check the front shocks/springs first-see if there is any shiny metal on the shocks anywhere-if so, that is your problem-don't worry it's easy to fix. Next, this sounds really dumb, but I've had it happen to me before-when riding in the rocks, I've had both the stock tires, and the 'Claws kick loose rock up and lodge between the frame and plastic, get hung up somehow in the wiring. You'd think it would just work it's way out, but twice now it hasn't, and has been trapped between the plastic and frame, with the wires preventing it from falling out. This is a reach, but could be your problem as well.

Next, do you have larger or more aggressive tires? I've rubbed on the front plastic before with my 27" 'Claws in such a way that it sounded like metal grinding-I don't know how or why, but it has. I'd also check your upper and lower ball joints to see how they look, if they are OK, or possibly on the fritz of going out. If they need to be replaced, I think it was around $27 each??? Is steering OK? Tie rod ends could be loose and "popping" under articulation while turning-again, it's a reach, but might be part of the problem.

Another possibility is very fine dust and dirt could have been trapped between the lip of the gas tank where it mounts to the frame. I've had mud pile up there before, then sound like a fine screaching sound where the plastic from the tank is rubbing on the frame. Also, the top of the carb could possibly be rubbing the lower part of the frame if it's out of adjustment-ie twisted on the hoses's.

I think the best thing to do is pull both side panel plastic pieces off-this is really easy to do if you haven't done so already. Simply pull your seat off, then you'll need both the phillips screw driver, and that "star" wrench from your AC tool kit in the little cheesy storage box underneath. There is one phillips towards the back end of the seat, then the one other "star" bolt that goes through up by the gas tank. Undo both of those, then just kind of twist the side panel, while pressing back on the rear fender. The rear end of the side panel-towards the back of the seat, will pop out first, then just rotate the panel out a bit and the front tabs will come out of the front clip. It's really easy to do if you haven't done so already, only takes a few seconds really. To get the right side panel off, you'll have to pop the top plastic piece off of your shifter lever using a screwdriver on the back side of the lever, just a hair lower than the top of the handle-you'll see a small slot there, just pop it off with a flat headed screwdriver. There is a bolt holding the plastic handle to the main lever, so you'll need the "star" wrench to take it loose, then the handle comes right off. Again, from here, do the same you did for the other side to get the right side panel off-you may need to put it in low range to pop it out of the front clip, but again, it comes off pretty easily with the handle removed.

Once you have those off, you'll be able to tell a lot more from where it's coming from, and see if there is any metal rubbing anywhere. I'm sorry for the long post here, but have had a few similar sounds coming from places that I thought were in the same location, but ended up being elsewhere-this is basically everything I can think of that might have anything to do with the sound you're hearing. I hope something in there might be of help.

Best of Luck, and keep us posted as to what you find out,

Mike

Old 09-27-2001, 01:31 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I have a squeaking noise from my 250 4x4, I always thought it was the suspension "breaking in". When the machine goes into the dealer I plan on having them check everything. I'd think by doing a lot of rock climbing you'd be flexing the suspension more than normal trail riding. Hope everything works out, it's no fun trying to figure things out when your buddies are riding!
Anyone know how to change the faces that appear with our user names?

Old 09-27-2001, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

TG1-
Click on the "profile" button on that thin blue line just above the post, down towards the bottom, there is something to do with "author icon"-click on the "all" button, it will give you the entire list of what little face things you can make.

-pretty easy once you know where the damn things are at! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 09-27-2001, 04:28 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Cowboy. I did call the dealer about the 4wd shifter problem, all is normal. They told as long as the 4wd system is working then there's nothing to worry about.

Old 09-28-2001, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

The problem is that AC used a new harder (longer lasting) bushings on the "A" arms etc. as they seat in they begin squeeking/creaking these bushings were assembled with no lube, no one knew that after about 200mi they would start to squeek, after all they didn't squeek when they were first assembled & tested.
Here is the good news / bad news, they will eventually break-in and stop squeeking or you can pull the bolts lube them, the grease will eliminate the squeeking/creaking.
The factory says that even with the grease on the bolts the bushings will still break-in / seat-in and buy the time the grease washes out the bushings will be seated, buy the way all bikes being built now are being assembled with grease to eliminate this problem while the bushings seat in.

Old 09-28-2001, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

AAAAhhhhhhhhhh, the Wise Man has spoken! Great explanation, good advice to fix, and interesting to hear-Thanks for the Help!