Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New to Arctic Cats...Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about ready to go with the Big Bear 4x4, when I thought id give AC a chance. I am not at all farmiliar with AC machines. Could someone let me in on the models around 400cc with manual shift? Independent sus. highly attracts my attention. Cant seem to find prices anywhere tho. Info like...Speed/Accl...Power...Price... Anything would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-15-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Pull up Arctic Cats website and Yamaha's website and CAREFULLY compare the features of the comparable models. You'll find that the Cat beats the Yamaha in just about every aspect. The only issue with the cats are that they are so heavily built (like a tank) that they dont accelerate quite as fast as some of the others. Go to an arctic cat dealer and look how the cat is built and then look how the yamaha is built, you'll see what I mean.

Keep the following in mind at all times! The Arctic Cat is a PURE utility machine that most of us end up using as a play toy. The Arctic Cats are made to work and work HARD. They are not built for drag racing with your buddies and talking about how sporty your quad is. If you keep that in mind, you'll do fine!

I own the 375 4x4 Auto. I love it! It is a 100 percent trail machine for me. It will go 53 mph on flat ground (GPS checked) on wide open throttle. I bought the Cat for several reasons, one main reason is that I like a vehicle that is over engineered (it just appeals to my personality). The cat is just that. The cat is built to last. The cat has 3 wheel hydraulic disc brakes made by wilwood (the same comapny that makes the brakes for Corvette). If that ain't an indication to their commitment to quality, I don't know what is. The cat isn't for everybody though. If speed or an adrenaline rush is what you're looking for, you might look elsewhere. One main decsion in buying a quad is buy what looks good to you, what you feel like you want to sit on, be seen on, and what you'd like to see sitting in your garage when you're not on it. Thare are no bad quads out there. Just different quads for different personalities. Some of the quads offer more for the money, and THAT is where the Arctic Cat strong point is. Last but not least, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.

I paid 4999 plus 69 bucks for the winch for my 375 auto.
The 400 manual (not independent) model as I recall was 5099 (not including tax) from my dealer. I saw a few of the guys here say the 400i (independent model) was 5699 out the door. That should get you in the ball park on price. Believe it or not, the 375 engine is a newer and more powerful engine than Arctic Cats 400 for this year. If you're interested in a little more power and don't mind an auto, the 375 delivers with spades and you still get the exact same bike as the 400. The 375 doesn't have independent rear suspension.

You'll get tons of other helpful input from other Cat owners as well! This is a great forum with some wonderful resources. Welcome and enjoy!

EtherNut

Old 12-15-2001, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have never had or road the 400, but I have a 300 manual and I have loved it. It has independant suspension, went mountain climbing one day with my family (all have ac500 4x4) and went everywhere they went. Smooth ride, I built a custome drink holder on the front rack, open a full can, and not spill a drop even going down the side of the mountain. The only time I didn't follow the 500's is when they winched themselves up a shear cliff, the first cat hooked the winch line to a bunch of small trees and brush on the other side of the cliff. I wasn't about to go up there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

All in all, the AC's are tough! No problems or breakdowns, never turned it over, although came close once, going up a hill and tires started spinning, popped it down to 1st gear (not even thinking that I had the engine revved) and lifted the front end up in the air. Thats why I am moving on to an auto.

I road the 375 AC auto,(my mother just bought one)and it is a real nice machine, but I felt too high in the seat. I am only 5'3" though, so I attributed that to my own size.

Happy Shopping,