Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

400i owners: Please post a review of your atv

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 06:29 PM
jdm
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read a review of the 400i anywhere and am curios about the bike. It sounds awsome from the specs. Would some owners please post a complete review of the bike. THANKS for all replies!

Old 01-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Do a search on the 400i,I know Chunkyboy did one on his afew weeks ago.

Old 01-05-2002, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

Hey dude's 400i I did one over at nation , but I dont think I did one here ,, The quad is great , I can't tell in words how pleased I am with the quad over all, the dealer told me all this stuff and you dont want to belive half of it , but he was right, plus more , remenber now this is my thoughts , The quad has ride onmatched by anything I have ridden , the shifter for the tranny works much better , as dose the 2& 4 wheel drive selector , gas guage lies , so did the one on my 01 , so far power is down a little , but i put 26-12-9 frt, 26-12-12 rear tires on mine to 589,s love them to, but i wish i had waited till wore out the dunlops frist , but larger tire,s hurt power to , you find yourself going throught trails faster then you realize because of the ride , the wide ness of the quad has so far not been a factor yet as much as height has ,( going under trees on trails that have falling , 01 went right under , 02 is a lot taller,The running boards are better , wider , heaver built, mud protection is okay about the same as the 01 , steering is light much better than the o1. the only problem ive had is with the 02 shock adj one wouldnt turn called dealer he said he would fix today , but AC BACK ORDERED the parts , I hope they do something different , but still able to ride , wait and see what happens , I liked the 400 -01 i had but the 02 is unreal I am very pleased with my 2002-400i -4x4,hope this help's CHUNKY ps the rear driveshaft is better protected than the 01 allso, i had a problem with hay and weeds wrapping in the drive of the 01 ,.

Old 03-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 2002 400i and only have 37 miles on it, at first it seemed underpowered but not anymore. I went for a short 13 mile ride last week and I had a ball! We climbed some rocky, slippery steep stuff, and we went throught a lot of water. I think that it has plenty of power, althought 2nd gear could have some more low end grunt, first gear will get you out if u get stuck, it did it for me in 1 and a half foot cake mud in a cornfield, I sunk in 2nd, shifted down to 1st and she just dug and dug herself right out, but the mud protection sucks so I got plastered!

Old 03-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

hey dude, I have a 400i , I am very pleased so for , but I haft to admit It is very low on power , it has other attubutes that help it out , I have a question for you , I put 26x12x12 r 26x9x12 f589m/s titians on mine the next day after I got mine , and I only rode mine 6 miles on the donlops , is this the first 400 cat you have rode , mine is realy low on power , people say it a lot the tires , but I dont think its all that , I mean my 01 had some butt kicking power , this one dont , my o1 would lose traction coming my house in 3th , this one barrly makes around the house in 3th , the 01 was full time , 02 in & out , dont figger , I really disappoinited with this , I have even though of trading it off . but I cant , so I guess Im stuck with it , VA CHUNKY BOY

Old 03-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

On another thread on this forum someone said that the 400's have the shortest stroke out of all the engines used in Arctic Cats. This translates into less torque off the line. Plus the independent suspension will take some power away from the machine because there are more angles in the drive train. Add these 2 together and you have bad power at the 400 level. The 500 is better but not great power. I can live with it but when that 650 comes out I will trade up.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

bbertram,
that's intersting what you have to say about the effect of a short stroke motor.
Another thing that short stroke motors are usually associated with is the ability to rev faster than longer stroke motors. This is due to the fact that since the piston is not traveling as far with each revolution, piston speed will be lower at any given rpm.
This, in turn, usually means a higher hp rating, because
Hp = Torque X RPM
I'm just wondering what you thing of the power output on this bike, and if it seems like the red line is high for a 400 single.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't drive the 400 cat. I have the 500 and with my outlaws the power is sufficient. Now if I had a 400 instead of the 500 I would be getting very poor power I think, because its the exact same quad but with a smaller motor. I think the weight, power loss in the drive train and short stroke motor all add up to being a disapointment with the 400. I just don't think it was a wise choice to make a 400i with that weak motor. They should atleast make 1st and 2nd gear a little shorter to make up for the power loss.

Also another thing that I find on all manual quads is that 5th gear is NEVER tall enough, you always rev out the motor. The power is there for more speed but the gear is to short and you just rev away and get no speed. I remember on my Suzuki 300 4x4 in 5th gear it would power out and not rev out.

Old 03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey chunky boy, this is the first 400 that I have owned, actually, the first atv that I have ever owned, but I am not an inexperienced rider, and I know when the power is not there. I have ridden a Kawasaki 650 Prarie, and personally I am just fine with the power that my 400i puts out. I have had it in different conditions, and I'm sure that it will go around 50 houses in 3rd, but that is only an opinion, I'm not shouting out at you. I'm sorry to hear that you are sorry with your 400, I love mine, but hey, than again I'm only 13. Have a good one chunky.

Old 03-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

HEY DUDE , I REALLY LIKE MY 400I its just it anit got what my o1 had , my wife got a 500sp today , I cant wait to ride it tomorrow , what I mean was I could take it in 3 gear come up my drive way go around the coner the 01 would break taction you would haft to let off , not the 02 imodel , it will barely make the hill in 3 gear , let alone spin , but it has other things i like better , im happy i guess VA CHUNKY BOY

Quick Reply: 400i owners: Please post a review of your atv