Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Windshield or helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been breaking in my new 500 the last couple days and the weather has been pretty mild for Iowa in January (40s). One thing has become obvious to me, if I plan to ride in real Iowa winter weather which I'm sure will come before long, I will need some protection for my face. What do you guys prefer? I don't like windshields or helmets but don't know of any other solution.

Bob

Old 01-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Helmet........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

I know what you mean Bob, it's been really nice up here in Minnesota too. I would just get a helmet, it's would serve both functions. As protective gear, and wind.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Bob, Bob, Bob!!!!

Read some excerpts from a recent article from my local paper.

Reprinting without permission for yours and others benefit.

ATV driver killed in crash wasn't wearing helmet: police TextText

01/09/02

Glenarm- A 47 year old Fenelon Township man was killed Monday in a head-on collision between an ATV and a snowmobile. R.C., who police say was not wearing a helmet, died after being rushed to the hospital. He was riding the four wheel all terrain vehicle when it came into collision with a snowmobile driven by 17 year old R.G. of Woodville. R.G. suffered minor injuries. "This was an unfortunate incident," Constable T.S. said. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor.

I took my new 500i out to pull my tree stands down on 01/05/02 and one of our young hunters remarked, "Oh he even brought his helmet!" Damn right! I don't want to be the one dead or the one bobbing in the pool with no use of my arms and legs this summer. Don't worry about the cold! Worry about your head. Get a helmet.

Old 01-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Joe,

I hear ya loud and clear and of course you are right. Always made my boys wear a helmet when they rode the 125 and they'd probably like to have me around for a few more years. But the wife tells me my head is pretty hard already. A helmet it will be!

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Good choice Bob. I didn't make this story up. This was just printed after my first ride. My wife thinks my head is pretty hard too just for buying this thing. I really have limited areas to ride it and mainly bought it for hunting season. They are a lot more money up here when you multiply by 1.5 and add 15% sales tax. So far I have 6.8 miles on it after 2 outings. Maybe by the spring I'll have it broke-in! Snowmobile helmets are great for the winter as they are designed to be warm and keep the breeze out. Wear a tube around your neck as well. Good riding.

Old 01-14-2002, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

Joe, hunting was one of the reasons I got mine as well. Dragging deer for a mile up and down hills isn't near as easy as it used to be 35 years ago. Not that it was easy back then either but now it is a question of whether I can even do it and how many days it will take!

Boy, you folks pay a premium up there for your ATVs. Enjoy!

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

Hey Bob Definetly a helmet! I wacked mine ducking under a branch down at 600 acres a few weeks back and was sure glad i had the helmet on. I wear a bacala ? under my helmet and then goggles . A big ol mud ball sure can hurt a bare eyeball! I got your e mails and the club is selling raffles tickets for $2 a chance . 1st prize id a AC 250wd 2ns is a 5x8 trailer and 3rd is a snowblade. They seem to be right what you are looking for !! Anyway The drawing is next Sunday over at Grimes and if want to get ahold of me you can vie e mail or ph#

Old 01-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have a full face helment with a flip up/removeable shield the ultimate for cold weather riding. If you wear glasses they may fog in the enclosed
helment.

Old 01-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Helmet. As cheesy as it sounds.. you can't replace your head.. no one plans to hurt themselves so you gotta prepare for the worse

Quick Reply: Windshield or helmet?