Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

rubicon or 500i

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wich one has more low end mid range all of that stuff wich is plane better

Old 03-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Both have their strong points. I don't think either one is any more reliable than the other. IMHO the Rubicon transmission is above and beyond anything else available, I simply don't care for belt drive auto's. I'm not 100% sure where I stand as far as advantages and disadvantages of independant suspension. I do believe I.S. gives a better ride on flat ground and rocks, but at the cost of more body roll. I can also see where I.S. might not be the greatest in steep off-cambers or side-hilling. It seems to me the way indpendant suspension is setup that the uphill wheel would exert force outward, while the downhill side collapses, which could cause the machine to roll easier. The ground clearance I.S. provides can also be viewed as both good and bad. Good: rocks, mud, etc.. Bad: off-cambers and hill climbs, simply because more ground clearance equals a higher center of gravity.

Another consideration between the two is mud/water protection. Honda has always provided great rider protection. With the Arctic Cat you're likely to get a little muddy and wet, especially the "I" models because they're a little wider than the ACT models and the wheels extend beyond the fenders.

One definate advantage of Arctic Cat over Honda is the price. I definately think Honda's are overpriced, but they do hold their resale value better than just about any other maker.

In short, both are great machines. I'd suggest you ride both, check your bank account, and buy which ever fits your needs the best.

Old 03-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

well i was looking in the 500i manual not the auto,but what i like about the rubcion is the esp and automatic.so i cant decide i own two hondas and one cat now i havent had good luck with this cta but i aint gonna be affraid to own another 1.

Old 03-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

I ride with several others that have the Rubicon... that bike is really a great bike. I have a 400I and really am somewhat dissapointed. My dissapointment stems mainly from the lack of power on the 400I, not sure about the 500I. The really nice thing about the Rubicon is that when you get into the mud, you don't have to shift at all... all you do is hold the throttle wherever you want and the tranny reacts with the proper wheel speed for the load/engine speed. Now put a Rubicon engine in a AC and you would have something that would be unstoppable.

If you ride in deep water and rutted out trails, the AC may be for you. If you primarily ride on trails that are in decent shape, you would be better off with the Rubicon. That is not to say that the Rubicon can't tackle the tough stuff, they can hang with just about anything, but the lack of ground clearance does hurt sometimes. Add a lift and big tires... now we are talking about something different.

Old 03-10-2002, 05:53 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

Buy the 500i or even the 500act. The Ruby simply has too many tranny issues, on other forums guys who live in cold climates are having a terrible time. Besides the Cat offers better suspension, more rack capacity, more ground clearance, disc brakes, and a bullet proof drivetrain.
RancheerMan didn't you state that "Hondas are outstanding atv's compared against cat in my opinion" on the Highlifter forum? Now I'm not looking for a fight but what's your game?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

a honda is outstanding the reason is is because,i have 2 hondas 1 cat now and the cat is a peice of junk so,i dont know what i wanna buy.

Old 03-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

let me get this straight, you have 3 atv's (2 hondas and a cat) and the cat is a piece of junk... or is it that all of your bikes are pieces of junk? if it is the later, then maybe it isn't the bike, maybe you are abusing your ride... If it is the prior, why even ask the question, unless you just want to cause trouble. If that is the case, please post in a different thread. I was giving advice on good faith and I don't want to waste time with people wanting to just trash different brands. I may not be completely happy with my cat but I still think that is has the potential to be an awsome machine. If I post a question it is because I an truely interested in what others opinion. If all of the above is false, and you truly are interested in others opinions, then I apologise for being defensive.

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

ur dumb i was aying the first cat i had wasnt a good machine and its a 01 250 4x4,not mine but parents they also have a rancher es 4x4 and a rubicon 4x4.so i was wondering just the power of the 500i manual dont haft to be so damn rude.

Old 03-11-2002, 09:29 AM
TG1
Pro Rider

RancherrMan
Why don't you go play on the Honda forum, it's quite obvious that you want to start trouble instead of actually discussing quads. Don't wait everyone's time!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Give the guy a break, people come to these forums to read about how different bikes compare, and to find out what their owners think about them.
If you think his story is fishy, don't respond. If he really is trying to stir up trouble, you guys are playing right into his hand.

Quick Reply: rubicon or 500i