Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

IRS vs Solid Axle Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 04:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I went fully independant because the ACT doesn't offer the straight through ground clearance. Stability is still awesome though. Better than any straight axle despite what you might read in brochures.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

I can see IRS being unstable in the very sharp high speed corners. When I swing my rearend out on my 500i it feels very weird, not like my last quad at all. It feels like the inside that your swinging into is sinking, like the shock is compressing and absorbing it all.

There are not very many people around here with quads so I probably won't be able to have very many different comparissons. But who ever I take with me on trips I will try and get them to sit on that rock and pose for a picture.

I'll take off my sick offset some time in the future and ride that rock again and see how it is just so its absolutely fair.

The mission is still there somewhat, but we need a picture or two. I believe that the ACT does well too but I just want to see how it looks.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

bbertram:

Ask and you shall receive. There is a folder in my signature called "AC Flexure". Tires, wheels, suspension - all stock. It's hard to see on pictures, but rise on these two plank were 12 to 12 1/2 " With rear wheel on rise, other tire is still a couple inches off the ground. Obviously the biggest difference in IRS and ACT is the angle of the tire contact with the ground, much more extreme with the ACT. I do like the ACT suspension, and hope AC keeps it around.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Cool pics. The ACT does way better than the honda but not as good as the IRS. I hear Suzukis new Vinsion is supposed to have some sort of semi independent suspension system too. I should get a thread going on in the Suzuki form and see if I can get a picture too. Maybe I'll make a thread in every forum and collect lots of pictures of different suspension systems at work at 12".

Old 05-01-2002, 05:54 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I believe the Vinson is a typical swing arm with two shocks.

Old 05-02-2002, 05:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

There sure is some one sided oppions here!
It's funny they're are 7-Cats(3 are the i's), 3-700 Sportsmans, 4-650 Quest's, 4- 500HO's, and 5-Grizzilies (2 are the 660's) and 2-400 Kodiaks, in my clubs hard core group. We've been riding most the winter.
It really amazes me that for how fast some of us tear off down the road, splash in and out of mud holes, race through trials that are tree lined, etc, etc, etc, that no ones ever more then 15 minutes back behind the first guy to stop, no one gets left in a mud hole and at the end of the day we've "ALL" got smiles on our faces, and laughs about the little thinks that happened in the day.
We all cover the same ground, very rare for any one of these people to pull out of the line and go around "anything" we encounter!
Yes some get stuck - but you'd be suprised which ones did? - and some times your not!
So for thoughs of us out there that get this great oppertunity to ride different bikes to test them all, in all situations, before we buy them.
We know that IRS is good, but we know that it's not the "beat all" of "end alls" either.
My buddy and I play pretty hard and there has "NEVER" been anything that he's made it through that I can't or the other way around.
Oh there are places (like deeper mud) that I need to fight like hell to keep my swing axle going, because it's dragging it's diff along behind, but also there are shale hill sides that if the 700 doesn't get a run at it he has to do it again. So who is the winner????????
ANYONE that went on the ride! - because we don't leave anyone behind and we all try every thing that gets in our paths.
So there are some that know what does and doesn't work...And there are thoughs who talk like they do!
Sorry if I've hurt any feeling, but I red everything I could, on all the machines there are from July 2001 till Jan 2002 and I rode most of the bigger ones before I came to my choose of machine and so did my buddy and we both got the best ones out there, because they've all got they're goods and they've all got they're bad's.
So stop bashing my style of ridin or machine type and join me on the trail so we can all have some fun with out the hard feelings!
I've read your 2-bit's worth and know you've read mine.
Did you change your mind....I didn't either...I'll still ride my swing arm type...so all that's left now is the trails, so lets enjoy them before they're gone?
One more point - when I encounter a 12" rock, it doesn't become the end of the trial, I just run the tire over it and let you laugh at me for not being able to just sit on the seat.
Who cares enjoy the ride!

Old 05-02-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Exactly. I'm not bashing, I was just curious as to the difference and I thought other people would be too. I agree with you 100%, because thats how it is in real life. I just like to talk about the differences and learning all I can about the Pros and Cons of each, just so I can educate my friends when its their turn to buy a quad and I can help them get the best one for their needs.

For me IRS is the cat's meow. I love it and I won't be going back to a solid axle utility machine. I love to ride in areas where there are 12" rocks like that in abundance and that will help me get through. We all pick an ATV for our needs. The End.