Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Joining Andy Bassham

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well tomorrow I'm gong to go get a new Grizz. I would have loved to stay with the AC, but I can get a new Grizz for the same price as a 500I. The difference in features is just too much to pass up dollar for dollar. I'm going to keep the Cat, for a while anyways. I might use it for friends to ride or whatever.

So I guess I'll be moving over to the Yammy forum now. I started out on the Suzuki, went to Kawasaki, then on to The AC forum so I have no prejudices. I still be checking and see what's going on. I have met too many fine people on this forum to just forget about it.

Old 05-04-2002, 03:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hope you like it. The only think I miss is the manual transmission, though I haven't had any problems out of the auto yet. (not to say I'm not waiting on one to happen) I still won't dog my old AC (except for steering), but I will admit that the 660 can do things the AC absolutely could not.

Of course it is loads faster and turns 20 times better, but I still miss that Arctic Cat at times. I liked the mean look of my 500 with the Kimpex's and Oxlites. It was a nasty cat. Still, I can straddle a lot more objects with the IRS (not as many as a 500i could though), and the differential lock is the one thing that sets it apart. I have been able to crawl right out of a lot of places that the AC would just free wheel. Never knew how much difference this actually made til I got in a few binds. It should be mandatory on any 4x4 regardless of size I think.

The Grizzly is indeed an unbelievable ride, but if they didn't make it, I would probably be on an Arctic Cat right now.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Minehunter~

Good luck on your new bear. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Cat's and Bear's get along pretty well...I still ride with a lot of cats, (Heck I think I have as many cat pics on my web site as I do Bear pics [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) even though I don't own one anymore. Also have to admit, the cat forum sports alot of fine folks. Keep us posted on how the Grizzly treats you.

SilverBear

Old 05-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I got it home yesterday and some other things needed done so I didn't get to go riding until today. I put 62 miles on it and used 3.3 gallons of gas. It actually seems miserly on fuel usage. I like that part of it. For me the seat is not near as comfy as the seat on the Cat. The suspension helps even out the difference and it may help more after the stuff starts to loosen up. I think the I's actually have a better ride. It also feels a little tippy to me, but that could just be because I'm not used to it yet. The steering is really light and responsive, I'll have to get used to that. It's also hard to get used to that extra brake lever. Haven't had much success on that yet. I'll keep trying. It has enough power to get out of some situations and by that same aspect it can get you into trouble because of the power of it too.

So far my first impression is favorable. If it stays as dependable as the Cat then I might just learn to like it.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

congratz on the new ride!!! I love my grizzly, and just cant get over what it can do! as for the power, it has lured me into a spot or 2 that i just couldn't get out of, heehee.
my brother bought a new griz too, and he kinda wishes he didn't. I told him, that couse he is not a vary aggressive rider, that the griz might just be overkill for him. i told him he should just get a smaller quad for alot less money. it is a great quad, but if you ride at 20 mph on rough land, and never use the power, then the cat would have been just fine for him. once you break it in, use the power it has, and you will giggle like a school girl, lol!

my pictures

Old 05-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Minehunter,
you're gonna get used to it.It took me like a months.Good luck with it.
Joe

Old 05-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Mine hunter, what about that speach you gave me the day we went riding? Just kidding hope you enjoy your new Grizz, my buddy has one and since he has done a little modifying on it he likes it a lot better now. I went down to his house one sat. afternoon and he had it stripped down to the frame, said he was going to put it together the way it should've been to begin with. He also took the sway bar off said that alone made it a much better quad. It still has a few little things like the sputtering in water sometimes, not all the time. I've ridden all the new quads and haven't found one that will draw me off of my Cat yet. I would like to ride a Quest out on the trail, besides the solid axle I really like this quad.
Good luck minehunter with the new quad, I hope you enjoy it I know you will ride it.

Old 05-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Range Rover

Good luck with the Grizz! I am hoping that the rumors will prove true with AC and that they will put out a 750 with a locking Diff and manual or electronic shift of course!!! That would be a dream come true! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Mountain Cat~

That would indeed be a quad to be reckoned with!

SilverBear

Old 05-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

One of the riders in our group (MATVA) has a Grizz '01, Silver. I tried it out, it was a happy time to ride... Had lots of power left over which I could not use in the terrain we were riding. Very nice machine however, I decided on the Cat 500i, for all the reasons I wanted to own a quad that could do all that I demand. So far, so good... I just wish I could put it in the rear of the Dodge Ram, with the tail gate closed... Should'a checked before I bought that truck... :0)
Chuck

Quick Reply: Joining Andy Bassham