Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What do you carry on rides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 02:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to get some ideas of other things I could or should carry with me in the event of some type of mishap or unforseen event.

Right now I carry:
Flashlight, spare spark plug, wire, duct tape, tow strap, rope, bungees, locks, oil, first aid kit, cable/wire ties, compass, pocket knife, matches.

I thought about jumper cables, but I have a recoil backup. Can't think of anything off the top right now. Suggestions/ideas welcomed.

Old 06-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

I usually carry basicly the same. I always carry about 1/2 gallon drinking water too. Also cell phone.

Old 06-29-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

I usually can't carry too much cause I'm too busy pulling vewdew's cat around!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I carry spare plug kit, 12v air pump, water, spare plug, flashlight, and snack food. Ummm...never do we carry a flask...no siree...never ever..........wanna snort vewdew?

Old 06-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

I carry the same stuff you all do except I have the 12 volt pump with the bottle of slime. Never used it though ( thank goodness ). Gonna add a tire plug kit too, just in case. I also carry a gerber muli-tool ( kind of like a leatherman but cheaper ).

Old 06-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Space-saving idea: Get rid of the 12v pump and get one of those little pumps that uses the CO2 cartridges for pellet guns. I carry one with four cartridges (one for each tire, although I'd bet one could do more than one tire, since the tires require low pressure anyway.)

Also, a mini mag-lite is a good space-saver, too, unless you are going far into the boonies. If they made a tiny can of WD-40, that might be good to have as well. It would be useful for displacing water from electrical components that aren't working due to wetness. I'm almost sure I've seen a tiny can somewhere?!?

Lastly, a whistle would probably be a good idea, too, in case you see any babes out on the trail and need to get their attention.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Some good ideas! I don't carry sealant, pump or plugs coz I've got 20oz. of Delta tire sealant in each tire. I hope that's enough.
No water either coz I'm usually in it -[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]- or I've got some Dew with me. Plus, my quad is oil cooled.
I have seen those small cans of WD-40 before too. That would be a nice addition.

Keep the ideas coming. Maybe we can find room for the kitchen sink too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Umm no flasks here... (snort) But ya i carry a couple things in my box. Mini jumper cables, some tools, spark plug, plug kit, 12v pump, snacks like granola and water, compass, map, some dry clothes. There are few other things. Just depends on the run we are doing. I dont want to be 50 miles back and have nothing. But its not hard to carry, just a plastic tool box strapped to the back rack. After all it is a utility quad (grin)

Mark

Old 07-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Dan W. I bet you have never tried out the CO2 cartridge!! It takes more than one to pump up a tire. I have used mine several times when I was desert racing. It takes about 3 of those for one complete flat tire!! They are handy and do save a lot of space. They are great for quads that don't have a 12v outlet.

The things I carry in addition to my CO2 pump, flash light, fire starter tablets (burn extremely hot and will start a fire in the snow-I just can't remeber what they are called-tryetholene?), matches & a lighter, bow saw, 50' 1/2" rope, Extra 1/4" cable, come-a-long, extra spark plug, extra fuel (2-1 1/2 gal cans), misc. tools, GPS, Maps, Extra Gloves, Leathermans, toilet paper(in a sealed bag), garbage bags, rain coat, first aid kit, tarp, food, water, small shovel, insect repellent, extra tent stakes, cell phone, frs radio, bungee cords, bailing wire, zip ties, fishing line and lures, extra tear offs for my goggles, glow sticks,

Old 07-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, I didn't realize they were so wimpy. Maybe I'll pack a couple more cartridges. I really like the toilet paper idea. I can't believe I left that one out! How about water purification tablets or maybe one of those little filter pumps that hikers use? Might not be a bad idea on long trips into the boonies.

I wonder if those Goodyear run flat tires compromise smoothe ride?

<< Dan W. I bet you have never tried out the CO2 cartridge!! It takes more than one to pump up a tire. I have used mine several times when I was desert racing. It takes about 3 of those for one complete flat tire!! They are handy and do save a lot of space. They are great for quads that don't have a 12v outlet.

The things I carry in addition to my CO2 pump, flash light, fire starter tablets (burn extremely hot and will start a fire in the snow-I just can't remeber what they are called-tryetholene?), matches &amp; a lighter, bow saw, 50' 1/2&quot; rope, Extra 1/4&quot; cable, come-a-long, extra spark plug, extra fuel (2-1 1/2 gal cans), misc. tools, GPS, Maps, Extra Gloves, Leathermans, toilet paper(in a sealed bag), garbage bags, rain coat, first aid kit, tarp, food, water, small shovel, insect repellent, extra tent stakes, cell phone, frs radio, bungee cords, bailing wire, zip ties, fishing line and lures, extra tear offs for my goggles, glow sticks,
>>

Old 07-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say go to a rpo bike shop or the like for electric tire pumps, I know wally's has a 20$ high preasure 12v bike pump that's palm sized. I actually carry the bigger more crude 10$ model from automotive, cause it still fits in my quads trunk.

Quick Reply: What do you carry on rides?