Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions for you AC auto owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new 2003 AC 500's that have just come out, but I don't know much about them.... So I need some input. How waterproof is the belt system - assuming the 2002's are very similar in design to the 03's? Any problems with the belt drives? Any overheating problems with the engines? Any other issues I should know about with these beasts? How much hp do the new ones make - are they comparable to the Polaris SP500 in speed and agility? Thanks for the input and sorry for all the questions!

Old 07-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]I'm an auto 500i owner, and here are my answers: Waterproof? mine's been up to the tank in several water crossings - no problems at all...My belt has slipped-twice-and both times, the noise startled me...Once when changing from low to high range, the other time after starting from a hard braking-to-stop. Both times it was a loud CHIRP and that was it....Overheating? I live in MA so the guys from the south may have more info on this, but I have NEVER had an overheating problem, despite long hard rides...Other issues? Get used to not having to shift-if you need more power, press down with your right thumb-it's there...Plenty of 'downhill engine braking' - this thing feels like it HAS a manual tranny, it's that good...Mine has plenty of power, and I have heard (on this and other sites) that the new ones are using an engine similar to the 'vinson' engine, which (reportedly) is much stronger..Truth is, I love my engine-it's like a 'diesel', TONS of low-end...My summary: Go for the auto, you'll love it...:-)

Old 07-17-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

After talking to out Dealer rep today, he claims that Arctic Cat has been drag racing the new 500s (both auto and manual) against the Sportsman 500 HO's and beating them. So, thats a fairly good sign.

As far as agility goes, if you read thew August 2002 issue of 4-Wheel ATV Action you will see a comparison of the Arctic Cat 400i vs the Sportsman 400 and you can see that they clearly liked the handling of the Arctic Cat, even though the Sportsman gave a slightly plusher ride (They get better after break-in, and are just as good as the Sportsmans from what I've riden).

As far as the newer models go we have yet to have any belt or overheating problems. IN Fact, the only belt problem we have had was on a 500 auto that was more of a submarine than an ATV.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

I have the 400i, and I can talk about the overheating question. I do a lot of yard work with mine, so it often is going very slow, or just sitting with the engine running. The fan does come on more often in these situations, but I've never had a problem with overheating. We had some days in the high 90's with high humidity a few weeks ago, and I was grading a portion of my yard. I was towing one of those sleds with 9 cement blocks on it, going real slow, in low range. Not one problem. Worked like a champ.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

I have ridden all over the place with no problems.I have had my machine buried and no belt slip or overheating.

Old 07-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All the articles I've read through the years have always given Cat credit for having the most water tight belt drive in the industry.