Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System

I got a 2000, 500 manual cat, and on the last two trips I've been on the battery has been killed dead. The battery is brand new so I don't think it is it. Now when I've charged the battery right up and start the bike, if I disconnect the battery it dies right away. So it looks like the charging system isn't working and the bike is running off the battery. The magnetos usually never go, so I was wondering what might be the problem besides that, and where to start and look. Any ideas would be appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Charging System

The only other electrical things I can think of is the CDI unit or the ignition coil. If it is neither then I am at a loss. If I think of anything else I will be sure to post.

Old 10-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Charging System

I have had this issue myself on a 98 500 4x4. I had to go over the wiring harness with a fine toothed comb in order to isolate the issue. I found in the end i had a couple corroded connections up near the cdi and down lower in the harness. Dont forget to check all fuses. Let us know if you find it.

Mark

Old 10-22-2002, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default Charging System

You might also want to check all your grounds, especially the one on the right side.

Old 11-07-2002, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Charging System

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 artic cat 500. Have you had any luck figuring out the problem with yours if so do you have any suggestions on what i can do to mine to correct the problem.
thanx
Dave

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by CatPower27
I got a 2000, 500 manual cat, and on the last two trips I've been on the battery has been killed dead. The battery is brand new so I don't think it is it. Now when I've charged the battery right up and start the bike, if I disconnect the battery it dies right away. So it looks like the charging system isn't working and the bike is running off the battery. The magnetos usually never go, so I was wondering what might be the problem besides that, and where to start and look. Any ideas would be appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'am having the same problem,have not figured it out yet,I did find out the artic cat has a closed electrical system.When you dsconnect the battery the engine will shut because the battery has to be in the loop for the engine to run.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am having the same problem with my 2006 500 automatic cat. Do you think it could maybe because of a bad starter solenoid? I have tried two different regulators....

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Some models of Cats had issues with the magnets falling off the magneto and it would stop charging. If I remember correctly the engine just dies but no amount of charging the battery gets it to start again.

I also have heard of the wires coming out of the crank case from the magneto melting and causing some issues. This usually occurs right near the engine where they pass through a rubber grommet and come out of the engine.

That said, I would charge your battery up outside the ATV. Check the voltage with a voltmeter. Then, install in ATV and start the engine and put a volt meter across the battery terminals. At an idle or with very little throttle you should get something around 13volts. I believe the spec says 14.2 volts at 5000rpm.

If out of the machine the battery reads 12.5V and after it is put in the ATV and the engine is running it reads less than 12.5V then you know its in your charging system.

If you get a reading near 13 volts with the engine running then you have a connection that is bad some place that separates when it heats up.

Hope this helps.
Swampy

Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Swampy, I do not get any rise in voltage and think I have determined with the help of Shamrock that it is the stator going to do an ohm test on it. Any other test to confirm would be appreciated....

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

In my service manual there is an OHM (resistant) test for trigger coil, source coil and charging coil. There is also a "no load" voltage test for the coil.

Never had to do any of the others because once I was able to determine that it was not charging we took the magneto out either found loose/ damaged magnets OR burnt wires.

You should be able to find a downloadable PDF service manual on a lawn and tractor site. Can't seem to find the link right now. Do a search for it on here and you should find it. Tests are not complicated but manual has pictures that make it MUCH easier.

Swampy

Quick Reply: Charging System