Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 500 Questions

Im looking to buy a 2003 Arctic Cat 500. The engine is made by Suzuki, which is very good. But my main question is about the 500's automatic transmission.....who makes it and how does it work? Is it easy to use and is it a good dependable tranny. Is it easy to take out of park and into different gears? I know that the tranny is a Duramatic....but how is the engine braking system? I just need some more info about the machine, before I and buy it!!!!! Any responses are greatly appeciated. Thank you

Grizzinator600

Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Grizz,

I have an 02 auto and like it. Havn't had any problems so far. I really put it to the test last week while plowing. I was in and of low and reverse very often. Shifting between them is very simple. The same goes for coming out of park. As far as engine braking, its there. I mean you know that its there by the way it slows down when letting of the gas. I don't pay that much attetion because if that doesn't stop me it comes fully equiped with a single lever braking system[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I only have about 300 miles so as far as longevity I'm probly not the one to comment.

Old 12-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

got a 2003 500 auto love it . shifts real smooth ,eats the rocky trails .It has amazing clearance and is very simple to work on, not that ive had to.My only complaints are the seat release and lack of dif lock.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

I own a 2002 500 Auto and really enjoy it. It's a good "family" machine very docile yet powerful. As for the tranny. The belt system is a proven system. Mine is water tight. After several bumper high water crossings I had no problem.

The engine braking is perfect for this "weighty" machine. With 2 people on it it will crawl down the steepest bank. I trust the machine so much I allow my 8 (now 9) year old son to drive down our rutty hills with me on the back. I have him put it in low range and the machine will gently walk down the hills with no pull on the manual brakes. The only real need for the manual brakes is for emergency stops.

I also like the manual 2 - 4 drive system. You can put it in and out of 4 WD by pulling back on the throttle. Shifting is fairly easy also the linkage is fairly short with good hardware. As for a locker. I 'm not a "mudder" and never ran into a situation where I needed it. The limited slip diffs work well.

I work part time for a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki dealership and have rode all of the quads we sell. Although I owned my Cat before I worked there, for the money I would buy another Cat. The electric shift Honda's can have problems. When the battery goes the shifting goes also. The 660 Griz with the fronts diffs locked is very difficult to steer.

I like the 2003 Cats with the bigger trunk and snappier engine. You have to respect Suzuki engines the 400 Kawasaki sport model is mostly made by Suzuki.

This is a great site for airing out these type of questions. It helped this once beginer.

Old 12-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 500 manual 2002 cat. It is a going machine. It is made for work, not racing. Power to plow or steep and rough terrain. BUT I am not happy with dealers in my area. Unless you will do all your maintenance. the dealer is as important as the machine. Dealers have been unable to cure my Cats backfiring. Lots of $ no results. Be sure your local dealer can cut it, or shop dealers FIRST.