Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this bad?

ok sometimes when i want the 250 4x4 cat to pop a wheelie or whip a sh*tty or kick up some dirt i hold down the shifter a little (after i click it in gear) and rev the engine and let go of the shifter and it spins the tires, its like a clutch handle, is this bad for the tranny because i have heard some people tell me its bad and some tell me it doesnt do anything, i have been doing this for about 1 year and nothing has happened, i dont think.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default is this bad?

well it isn't very good for it. It is like shifting a manual clutch transmission without using the clutch while you are still on the throttle. It is hard on gears as well as on the clutch plates. I wouldn't continue this little trick if you wan't your transmission to last. Although it is fun isn't it!!

Old 01-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default is this bad?

yea its fun, but i guess its not good, im gonna stop doin it, what if you let it out slowely, like if you start in 3rd gear and you hold the shifter down a little but still letting in move the atv and let it get up to speed and letting go of the shifter slowely, would that do the same thing

Old 01-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default is this bad?

Im not being mean but yeah that is hard on the tranny. But if you want to throw some dirt without shifting like that would be buy a quad with more power then you can lay on it and throw dirt like hell.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default is this bad?

yup, buy a 500 with some big meets and it will throw all the dirt you want . Probally also not to good for it but if I really want to throw some dirt on hard pack i lightly hold the brake lever while on the gas in 2 wheel drive(brake stand). Now once those tires are spinning at a good rate, let out the brake and stay on the gas. I can keep them spinning right up to the beginning of 4th gear while pulling away.

Old 01-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default is this bad?

Actually, I think that pressing down on the shifter opens the clutch. I know this from my 500i - when I first got it, my foot would rest on the rear part of the shifter and open the clutch up unexpectedly, took me forever to figure out why this was happening.

All the same, dumping the clutch on soft ground is a good way to break something expensive, probably the transmission.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default is this bad?

Hey there! I am wondering if you have a manual shift or automatic.. I have a 500 auto, I can't get that thing to kick up dirt for anything! well except for when I rolled it off the mountain in Oakridge TN (LOL) I have kick a~~ tires too just not enough power I guess, any suggestions would be appreciated..