Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Kodiak or AC400????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak or AC400????

I don't think you can match the abilities of the 28" vampire EDL's

Old 03-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

As for the gearbox, you must mean the range selector, because like you were arguing about with srx6, the kodiak doesn't have gears, it has a belt.

Not being a smarta$$ but the Kodiak does have gears. Inside the tranny there is a gearbox (high and low range). It also has the belt drive and pulleys. Your probably referring to a normal manual shift 5speed gearbox when you say "doesn't have gears. Like I said, I'm not being a smarta$$, just clarifiying.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

My termo isnt correct i apologize

Yes Thats what Im saying, The belt gets wet and yes I meant the range selector.
No he has only drown it out once this year so far. But he belt gets wet quit often
I couldnt tell you where what was on his bike. if mine had a belt it would get wet as well. But i strongly feel this too shouldnt happen. I think they can come up with something so the belt doesnt get wet, some sort of factory snorkle or something. Its rediculous if you ask me

And NO SxR6 SAID BELT

Old 03-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RINCON
I don't think you can match the abilities of the 28" vampire EDL's

Old 03-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, hit the wrong button.

The EDL's are great at what they are designed for. I have them on the front of my 03'
500i. They are great at chewing a path through just about anything. The only negative is they have no floatation because they are da$$ near solid rubber. This makes them sink and look for traction even in deep nasty wallowed out Polaris ruts. They are fine until I get into deep, watery, totally dug out ruts. In that case you just can't beat a wide tire.

Old 03-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

True.

If you manage to get the belt wet on a Kodiak, than you'll have water in the air box on any quad. (5 speed) The air intake on all quads, from the factory, is no higher than the front rack (mine is under the tank) If the belt gets wet all the time, it is quite easy to cut a big hole in the black plastic and run a snorkel up about 6" more. There is also a tranny exhaust tube running out the rear, this may not need to be snorkeled unless you are sitting in the water, because a steady thumb on the gas will keep water out of there.

The range selector thing must have been a fluke, or has it done it more than once?? Just nice to know, afterall it might happen to me some day when i'm in the swamps!

Old 03-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Rincon, in case you didn't notice, Catcrazy drives an Artic Cat, not a Kodiak. The intake for the transmission is in the front at the same height as the headlight but when moving forward at this depth the "bow wake" will make the water level at the intake somewhat lower. If you look at my photos you will see my brother's 375 at nearly this depth and standing still. It has a similar snorkle system. It took us half an hour to winch him out of that mess and the belt never slipped.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Pechmial, thanks for shedding some light on me! go home and say this over and over until i say stop

I
AM
SOFA
KING
WE
TODD
DID.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

BTW, is this the piture you're telling me about pic

If it is then I'll start laughing...........

Old 03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Im just telling you what i see.

Yes his headlights go under water.

Clarification-We dont ride in deep water continously from point A to point B. If we do the water level is about floorboard or a little higher. Where the water comes into play is crossing ditches. The down and up motion. I swear as I sit here his belt get wets all the time,but then again the water level in the ditch is pretty darn deep! Only once has he drown out crossing a ditch and yes the belt got wet this time too. He modified it since 2 weeks ago and put him a plug in his housing to drain the water. It takes a while to get him up to par again after this happens. Also we noticed the other day when we remove the housoing that the belt is only about 1 inch thick, on my father in laws grizz 600 it is about 1 3/4 thick or 2 inches
Why is that?

And yes Mud kept his "Range Selector" From engageing all the way.

He couldnt stay in high gear,only low, because it kept slipping out

Quick Reply: Kodiak or AC400????