Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

whats the best option for diff lock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best option for diff lock?

I was just wondering if the brake locker is better or would welding the spider gears be better ?? thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean by better? Ultimate traction will go to the welded locker. Downside is hard steering. The brake locker is meant to help get out of a 3wheel situation to pull you on out of the hole. Upside is easy steering. Just depends on what you want.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. cant beat all 4s pulling all the time. But at the same time the brake locker works just fine. You just really need to watch what you are doing when you apply the nrake locker. Dont just slam the brake when you are at full throttle to get the other tire to pull. Apply it gently and let off. Basically only use it when you need to.

Im a extremist. I take everything to the edge. I ride in some prety bad stuff and I desire my bike to pull all 4s. I fixing to exoeriment with a few options. I have found a way to lock mt front diff and beable to unlock it when i need to. I just have to work out all the deatils. My last option i would choose is to weld the spiders to the gear drive. But i have not rulled it out.

Old 04-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

keep me posted on what you come up with. being i am from La maybe we can get together and do to my bike what yo are going to do to you bike if it works

Old 04-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Yea man anytime.

Here are the options Im looking at

#1 Sending it to howie 375.00 Plus 375.00 to reverse it if i need to= 750.00
#2 Welding my spiders
Upside- its locked-its cheap
Downside- Warranty Gone! Will not be able to enjoy smooth steering
#3 Brake locker
Upside - somewhat locking front,does what a locker does"sorta" still be able to enjoy good steering, It put power to the the tire that has the traction- Able to remove it within 2 minutes so you can take it up to the shop if you ned warranty work done
Down side- braking,takes some getting use to- Not as effective as a locker, Kills a little power when you apply the brake. the possiblitiy of braking something is high if you arent carefull how you use it.

#4 Tapping a threaded hole into the internal housing and screwing a screw into it puting pressure againt the 2 thrush washers which will lock it up not allow the washer to flex and allow the clutches to work.
upside- Its locked,its cheap, you can easily unscrew the screw to go back to limited slip.
dOWNSIDE- If you screw up you might as well buy a new gear housing.
#5 Buying a new gear housing and welding the spiders
Upside- Having two housings,one for your locker and one for limited slip/-able to take out the locked internal housing and put in the limited slip internal housing for warranty work in case you bust a CV. They will never know!
Downside. Having 2 Internal housings, Having to chage out if something brakes so you can have it done under warranty. Cost 436.00 plus shipping

Whatcha think??? Which one would you do???

Old 04-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

do you think they will make the detriot locker for Arctic Cat?

Old 04-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

No

High lifter use to do what howie does also.

But no it is to much trouble to crack open the internal housing. There is were your spiders are! and you cant get to them,from what I was told by howie

Old 04-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

sorry this is the 1st cat i've owned i don't know a whole alot about them, but i shopped around and picked Arctic Cat , i just seemed like the perfect if it just had a locker

Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Kool pix by the way, cat krazy

Old 04-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks

No prob about the questions. If youve got em you can bet someone in here knows. So ask away

Quick Reply: whats the best option for diff lock?