ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Badly running 200E

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Badly running 200E

(I'm swedish, why i can't all names of engine parts in english... sorry.)

I just got an old, quite well used, 200E. (1983 ithink it is?)

It came to me in parts. Almost.
The previous owner dissassembled many engine parts as it wouldn't run, without really knowing what he did...
It stood still out in rain a couple of years, until he gave it to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
It turned out that the rear brakes was stuck by rust! Now that's solved.

I put everything together and it actually runs! New battery, cleaned tank, new filters etc...
Engine runs, but not ok.

Hard to start. Needs alot of gas. When idling at high throttle (needed or it stops), it runs slower and slower
but suddenly faster and faster. If decreasing throttle it just dies, even though raising throttle again...

Carburettor cleaned. As read in other posting gas also filled up the air cleaner!
After some adjustments that stopped. I don't know what i did. Not a screw is in the position it should, probably.
(The repair manual sucks btw...)

Also there is some rotating mechanism on the camshaft. Ignition-timing-something?
There rotating head seems ok, but the two springs was not. Seems to control angle by centrifugal motion?
Found some springs, but not original, as i don't have them. (saw a picture of it and just mounted springs that fitted in there...)
Probably part of my problem.
There is also a ring shaped metal part that is in bad shape. I can't find these new parts... (in sweden or web searching).
Cleaned it and removed all rust.
How does this parts work?

Spark seems ok. (Well, was, now that is gone as well...but that's another story.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

I used a timing lamp to adjust the ignition.
But if filling up with engine oil, it just flushes out of the hole i'm supposed to look into!
How much oil should go in there???
The electrical generator seems to swim in oil!! Should it be oil in there?? Do i have a leakage?

Other problems i have is that an elephant must have been riding it as the rear axle is not
as straight as i whish. ;-) But that's a later problem.
Front fork fits loosely, flat tires, no front brakes.

Martin/

Old 07-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a 83' 185s, and I had similar carb problems... My machine would rev up too. I got a rebuild kit & that solved most of them. I did have to get a new needle & jet that the needle slides through in the carb. I was informed that they wear out. Now it seems to run pretty well. I was told to get a Honda "jet set" for that carb & not an aftermarket product as they are crap. I did just that & so far has run pretty good, I think I have adjustments to make as it fouls plugs sometimes though. E-bay is a good place to get used carbs, I've bought 2 from e-bay people. I got one of them for $5.00 and, the other for like $20.00. They are a good thing to have spares of.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am also having a problem with getting the rear brake drum off my machine because of rust, any pointers?

Well, good luck.

Rob C.

83' honda 185s
97 ski-doo formula Z[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I believe you have the timing off 180 degrees

Old 07-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a carb rebuild kit, ordered from mfgsupply.com
Looks ok, but it's still in the bag. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Regarding the brakes, i had to us a lot of force (big hammer) to get it of. Hammer and bending did the job.
The friction part was really hard attached to the break drum. By using that much force, it came loose from the metal half
and i could slide the drum of.
I don't know if thats the same problem you (Robc68fb) have? I don't know what the 185 brakes look like.
Could also be corrosion on the axle?

Regarding the 180 off timing, would the engine run at all if so?? (well, everything seems possible with a 200E [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])
I'll definitely look that up first of all!

Martin/