ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Do ATCs roll easily?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do ATCs roll easily?

How easy is it to tip a 3-wheeler over?
Do they handle well, as opposed to a 4-wheeler?
What are they like to jump?
thanks
Will

Old 07-18-2003, 02:57 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some models are more prone to tip than others (mostly the ones with no or poor suspension), but for the most part the rider's decisions heavily effect when this becomes dangerous. physics support that 3 wheelers are more prone to tip than quads persay(sp) but ive seen far less accidents on trikes than dirtbikes for example. 84 seemed to be when the high performance (2 stroke) trikes began to see some serious suspension setups stock and farely safe trikes. my trike is older than most people on this site and i'm impressed by it's handling to this day and so are many others (quads, and bikes alike) that ride with me. ill admit some of the early 80'd trikes werent exactly safe power/chassis combos but they definately had promise and they showed it with the Tri-Z, Tecate, and 250R. 15 years riding 3 wheelers and it seems like none of my "get offs" were related to tipping over. most were caused by feet falling under the rear tires and getting sucked under.

as far as jumping goes i see plenty of 3 wheelers doing it, but not me. id buy a bike or an airplane if i wanted to be in the air. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

The short answer is that it depends. This would go for three or four wheelers. I would say it is a function of tire size, suspension(bike design) , and decernment. Larger tires would seem to make a machine more tippy. Lack of suspension seems to play a role as well. Decernemnt seems to be a big factor af well. I had an 85 Tecate that I only rolled doing crazy hill climbs or stunts. However, I let less expereinced riders ride it and almost all found a way to flip it. Being 15 at the time I didn't have much decernment. Now I ride SuperTrykes. They have a low center of gravity, diffrerential axel, and full suspension. Hard to find these days. As for Jumping, that seems best left to two wheels.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

I think it is all up to the rider, but I would have to agree slightly that ATC's roll over easier than quads. My wife was climbing up on a off camber hill (she is very inexperienced!) and she rolled the bike. I can't say that the same wouldn't have happened on a quad, but it may not have..

ATC's are for more experienced riders though. Unless you are on an ATC70 or tri-zinger, you need to use more body english to keep the bike upright.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RIDE THEM. YES THEY TURNOVER EASY. IF YOU JUST PUTT AROUND ON THEM YOU WILL BE OK.WHY DO YOU THINK THEY HAD TO STOP MAKING THEM.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GILESRACING
DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RIDE THEM. YES THEY TURNOVER EASY. IF YOU JUST PUTT AROUND ON THEM YOU WILL BE OK.WHY DO YOU THINK THEY HAD TO STOP MAKING THEM.

probably the stupidest thing ive ever read on this site.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

A quad is like riding a mechanical bull.....................And a Three wheeler is like riding a live bull!!! There both fun. You just need to lean
a little more in the turns on a three wheeler. Better for wheelies though.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: HA2
some models are more prone to tip than others (mostly the ones with no or poor suspension), but for the most part the rider's decisions heavily effect when this becomes dangerous. physics support that 3 wheelers are more prone to tip than quads persay(sp) but ive seen far less accidents on trikes than dirtbikes for example. 84 seemed to be when the high performance (2 stroke) trikes began to see some serious suspension setups stock and farely safe trikes. my trike is older than most people on this site and i'm impressed by it's handling to this day and so are many others (quads, and bikes alike) that ride with me. ill admit some of the early 80'd trikes werent exactly safe power/chassis combos but they definately had promise and they showed it with the Tri-Z, Tecate, and 250R. 15 years riding 3 wheelers and it seems like none of my "get offs" were related to tipping over. most were caused by feet falling under the rear tires and getting sucked under.

as far as jumping goes i see plenty of 3 wheelers doing it, but not me. id buy a bike or an airplane if i wanted to be in the air. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

WHAT, YOURS DIDN'T HAVE FOOTPEGS.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:48 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

.................2nd stupidest thing ive ever read. I take it this isnt the first time you've been so outspoken about stuff you know nothing about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Do ATCs roll easily?