ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

86 250R Jetting Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 250R Jetting Problem?

ya it will say a number right on it. And if you re-jet only go one size at a time. Jetting a bike is really simple it acually only takes 3 min. first get a screw driver and an adjustable wrench. Go over to the bike unscrew the boot tigheners and turn the carb almost completly sideways. (make sure the gas is off) Then with the adjustable unscrew the bowl screw on the bottom of the carb and the main jet is stickin right there. then you got to unscrew it with a small socket. and change it. For the pilot jet you have to take the carb off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] and you will see it. it is bigger than a main jet with a bunch of little wholes in it. It should say a number on it like 52 or 58 or soemthin like that.

Oh and when I had a FMF pipe and air filter I had a 152 on hot and humid days and 158 on cooler days (in the summer) in the winter I jet up more because the cooler it is out the richer you should jet.

Old 10-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Heading to the dealer after work to dig through the box of old jets- I hate to spend 10 bucks a piece on jets I might not even use. Im hoping hes got a range of sizes, if not Bikebandit here we come and hang on wallet!! BTW- doing a plug chop tonight when i get home. Working IT is a kind of nice, come and go when I want, but if the network is down, hang on for an all nighter...

Old 10-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

10 bucks is to much for a jet. Get a DG jet kit. 3 dallers a piece. And its good to have diffrent jet sizes because you never know what your going to add for parts and what that is going to do to your jetting,

Old 10-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Im so g@* da*^ mad!!! Dealer had a bigger slow jet, and some main jets. 3 bucks each [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] - I ordered the DG kit and a few more slow jets anyway from Dennis Kirk. Dennis Kirk has that DG kit for 20 buck I think, and some slow jets, etc.

So I came home, rode until warmed up to get a seat of pants feel for comparison. Brought back to the shop, tore into the carb, changed jets, everything like a champ- carb work IS easy after all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Get it all back together, now she wont fire. Checked the plug, no spark- looked damp, not wet, cleaned it, tried again... no go. New Plug, no go, old old plug, no go. Looked at stator for water, no go. checked connection on capacitor between plug and cdi, no go, gave up, had a beer and a smoke and felt sorry for myself. So anyway once i get it sparking again, it shoudl run like a champ, and I know how to do all the carb work myself now.

Thanks a bunch guys for all the help! It is really nice to have a resource like this where people actually respond with useful info!! Any electrical ideas accpeted...

Old 10-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

So you put the plug in the wire and kicked it over to see if there was spark (don't hold the wire, you can get a good shock. let it rest against something)? Did you try putting the old jet in to see if it would fire? How long did you kick it? Sometimes it takes awhile to get the bowl filled again. Do you have a manual? It shows how to trouble shoot the electrical probs. Just need a voltmeter.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

I kicked and kicked till my kicker was sore. Checked for fuel, the carb was getting some, Dont know if the bowl was filled, it didnt come out the overflow though like i had flooded it. I put the plug in the boot and shut the lights off in the shop to make sure i didnt miss it in case it did spark. Nada. I am trying the old jet etc this evening (just to see) Im thinking its something loose that I missed when i took it apart last time, cant be mutch, it ran 25 minutes earlier...

Old 10-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Last Update- Checked ignition coil, had a shorted plug wire, got that fixed- took care of the no spark problem.

Thought I would check the carb again, took it apart: had the float arm on top of the catch for the valve that fills the bowl. No way was the float going to work the way its supposed to. I was getting fuel, but not enough to run...

So In the end, I fixed two things, and got my jetting right on. The air temp has been flaky here this week, tuneup will be better some days than others. Running a 152 main and a stock pilot for 70 degree days. Ill move up to a 155 or higher and tweak the pilot when it turns cold again, probably run the BR8ES NGK plug as well.

Thanks for all the great info- Bike runs wayyy sweet now, better than it ever has since I have owned it.

Old 11-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

by the way bigblock2stroke. The jets, infact the whole carb has NOTHING to do with spark, so changing the jet to see if it got spark would have been a waste.

bulldog. Im glad it all worked and you are pleased.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

UUHHH right. I hope that you wouldn't think I would suggest checking the carb for a spark prob or vise versa. I understand that there are some rather uneducated 3 wheeler fans on this board, but come on!

I was questioning whether the bike really wasn't making spark after only changing a jet.

UUUHhh make sure you check the muffler piston before you change your tire lever.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

I run some ol' circa 1992 golden spectro at about 35:1. It runs fine, smokes little, hardly fouls plugs. Works for me. BTW - My bike is completely stock - cept' for some head millin'.
That really brings out the bottom end.

Quick Reply: 86 250R Jetting Problem?