ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Anything i can buy to shine my gas tank back up any?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything i can buy to shine my gas tank back up any?

I got a 85 250r plastic tank, and it has some frosting or fading on it with a few scratch's. I took a razor blade and lightly scratched off some of the fading( which was probly a stupid idea huh?) And it helped alittle n looks a bit nicer. Anything i could buy or use to atleast get it so the fading u cant see or maybe some kind of paint that would work? do i gota sand anything maybe?

Old 03-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

this may sound stupid, but, use a torch, or a heat gun to remove the scratches, and use armor-all, or OIL BASED stainless steel spray cleaner [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] we pressure wash machines at work, leave the tanks look faded white, so we spray them w/ the steel cleaner, or amor-all

Old 03-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

just look in dennis kirk. They sell a bunch of plastic renewing products. That would be a lot safer than a torch.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

well im sure he would DRAIN the tank at least, and fill it with water, saves money, we it all the time here at work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

I did actually think about usin a torch, i tried that on some rear plastics before and it turned out ok, but i did also jsut happen to look inside denniskirk's mag. and see some plastic stuff in there. i think im jsut gunna go ahead n try'em both, see how it goes. if anything, i'll just paint the stupid thing,lol.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have used varous grits of sand paper on the scratches, then use a variaty pack of steel wool......Then use a plastic, rubber protectant and it will look like new. no chance of melting or blowing up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

um...about that torch....its a good IDEA not to let it sit longer then 3 seconds, lol woops!. I was glazing some machines at work, and I left it on longer on a deep cut. I normaly have a scraping tool to smoothe it, but i didnt have one, I used my trusty finger!. so now, I got plastic burned into my skin, woops, yea, dont let it sit tooo long...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thats y im kinda iffy on usin the torch, i get alittle fire happy with it n wanna burn everything,lol. 100$ plastics, i'll kick my *** if i melt those,lol. Not really much for'em, but still enough i dont wanna mess up,lol. havent tried any steel wool. I'll have to try that n see how it goes. What kinda protectant do u usually use or recommend i could get?

Old 03-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

bottle of armor-all should do it, but I think OIL BASED stainless steel cleaner lasts longer. I dont put any on, cause its going to get washed every week anyways..lol

Old 03-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Did you know that there are some three-wheeler freaks less than 20 minutes south of you?
Also I'm trying to get some group rides together this summer for the central ohio area, if you are
interested let me know.

Quick Reply: Anything i can buy to shine my gas tank back up any?