ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

sticking intake valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticking intake valve

the intake valve on my '84 honda 110 atc just started sticking in the open/ partially open position after I shut it down and the engine is hot. When the engine cools down it pops shuts and starts and runs perfect until I turn off the engine,and then immediatelly the valve sticks in whatever position the valve is in. I can tap on the rocker and it will pop back up after a couple of whacks. I've since changed the oil and tried a super type lubricant.............still does it though. Anyone know any tricks here?I did'nt want to pull the head if I don't have to. The sole purpose of this 110 is a tow vehicle for a drag car. Thanks..............

Old 05-20-2004, 11:27 PM
The Facility

There isn't any permanent fix without replacing the valve.

It isn't but a 45 minute job on a 110 taking your time. You can get the gaskets and the valve for under $25

Old 05-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the comeback...........why does the valve need replacing? what happens to the valve ? thanks again
Chuck

Old 05-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a shop manual.................. I'm a decent mech,anything I need to be extra careful about,like the valve/cam timing,if so,any tips, and what are the torque specs?
thanks again, Chuck

Old 05-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

i did it a while back on a trail 90 without my manual. realy it is simple. find TDC, pull off the cover over the points, take the bolt out of the end of the cam, and take out the screws under the little timing plate and remove that whole assembly. then your cam should slid right out after you take the bolts off of the sprocket. be carefull to not let the cam chain come off of the sprocket or you will be in alot of trouble. then you can take off the 4 nuts and slid the whole head off. from there your on your own, i've never gottin in to the rest of the process. remember that i may be wrong or i may have missed a step. this is all from memory and i have no idea if this is the right way to do it. correct me if i'm wrong. hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a guide problem too, or a carbon buildup on both the valve and especially the guide. Check for anything fishy like a cracked or broken guide. If all is well there, you'll definitely want to ream the guide. It takes a 5.5 mm reamer, most Honda dealers should be able to do it in a few minutes once the head is off. You may want to replace the valve regardless, the valve face on Honda intake valves of that vintage do get a big grooved, but of course that wouldn't explain your sticking. The exhaust valves last a lot longer, they must be hardened to a greater degree. If you pull the front wheel and fender off, it's very easy to remove the head, pretty much like sharpie said.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks all for all the info and help......................I'm gonna take it apart tomorrow............hopefully I can fix it then. Thanx..........
Chuck '72 superpro bug....(former 1/8 mile "C" sedan record holder@ 6.68et,goin for 6.60et)