ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Newbie to atcs (have my self a 250r)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to atcs (have my self a 250r)

Hello all!

This is different for me as im in the uk and atcs are more popular in the states/canada,

I have purchased my self a honda 250r, canadian import and a 1983 model with air cooling,

Its pretty much all stock i think, as the title says im new to all this, pictures in a few weeks to follow,

since having it, almost a day, the gear leaver seems to be a bit broken, by this is mean i cant change gear, it all started when i couldnt find neutral, so i think i need to place some metal in the gear changer to stop it slipping and sliding, if not i will have to weld it (is this a good idea?) also has anyone had any problems with the gears on these atcs?

Also is there any common problems with them or anything i should watch out for?

All your anwsers will be of help, also is there any tips on riding, im scared on it, but doesnt stop me going fast (blasting in 2nd)

and last but not least cause im used to quads, semi auto and auto ive never ridden a manual motor so its different, so im in the proceeds of learning, ive been told i need to change gear more (how can i!) and not to rev it is so much when pulling off, will this harm the engine?

also what sort of clutch is it, wet cluch? by this i mean do i need the clutch to change gears 2,3,4,5,6 i know i need it to pull off,

all your help is much appreichated, and sorry for being newbie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

picture of my atc - http://www.freewebs.com/v300phil/26_1_b.jpg
also the seat, when i go and jump hills the seat comes off, and when its on the top part near the tank i can pull up, is this supposed to be?

Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a wet clutch.

gear's are 1 down for 1st, 5 up for 2-5.

no you should not weld the shifter on the shaft. there is a bolt that act as a clamp and you begin by tightening and go from there but that most likely isnt your problem. so when you try to shift gears you pull the clutch in and nothing? no shifter travel up and down? feel stuck?

you can buy billet shifters from ebay or other places like www.lsracing.com . or www.rockymountainatv.com

good luck.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

HA2 is correct. And as for riding it, it is like any other ATV/dirtbike, just take it easy on it until you get a good feel for it, and then you will progress from there. And yes, use the clutch for every gear, and dont let it rev tooooooo high, you should get the feel of when to shift.
Check the oil, and change it anyway. And find yourself a repair manual.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

I just looked at your link, It looks to me like you have yourself a 1982 250r, same as mine, cause the 83 it totally different.......totally[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at it again........yes its an 82

Old 11-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Trailblazer

cool, someone with the same trike, what do you think of it?

i think its pretty cool, and fast, im not sure if its power valved or power banded?

I tried sticking a jublee clip in under the metal so i could bolt it down so its tight, but the thread snapped in side and then the bottom with the thread goes snapped off, so i have to get a totally new lever now,

what tricks and tips are there to my atc, what can i do to it etc, i dont wanna make it faster as its my first 250r and its faster nuf for me, my mate has a yz250 quad, and i can keep up with him, and im only stuck in second, which is not good!

Also how are these for petrol, do they eat it up as i topped up yesterday and today it conked out on me and the tank was dry!
Is it because im floating about in a low gear to much?
Also the mixture for 2 stroke oil is 20:1 (20 ml to 1 letre) is this to rich or to little?

cheers
phil

Old 11-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

They are powerbanded, and they are a bit of gas hogs, yes the mixture is 20:1. As for tips with it, ask me more specific questions that I can answer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run 32:1 maxima or golden spectro or something similair in your area. its the standard for todays 2stroke oils. 20:1 was back in the mid 80's.

you might try to to retap the lever if its got enough material/room to work with to something larger. if not, just buy a billet one for 20 or so bucks from one of the websites i suggested. they should do international shipping....i know there is a pretty big market in UAE so i dont think you guys are out of question for shipping.

good luck.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

AHHHH CRAP!

hi guys again,

catchmeifucan, thanks when i think of something ill bombard you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Right to the depressing bit, because of the gear lever i have been riding in 2nd all the time, and yesterday when i was in my local woodland area, i started my redrocket up and christ that took me a lifetime, but then i took it around slowy to warm up as you do, so i was then going along trying not to strain the engine to much otherwise the conrod would have blown through, so i was going along and all of a sudden it started blubbing, blub blub blub blub then cuts out, and the back wheels come to a skid, so i get up thinking crap my goggles must of fell of or the chain has snapped, but nothing, so i went to kick it back over and the kick start was jammed, so i left it and finally it would kick, but nothing, it wouldnt kick over, it wanted to but nothing, so my mate towed me back to the van, i hope its because the oil is running low, so i bought some 10:40 sea teaxco oil, so when it stops raining ill fill it up, but my dad seems to think the engine has blown and the pistons and head are all mashed up,

please tell me its not, or what i can do, i cant get no bits in the uk as ATCS are banned from being sold and parts are not available not even from a honda supplier!

thinking now, day before yesterday the engine done it again, so maybe the engine is over heating and jamming the cogs from kicking over?

must be some sort of sign? ive only had it 5 days [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

help please friends!

ps. is sae 10:40 oil right? and dot3 brake fluid?

Old 12-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY.. HE IS A SCAMMER AND IS WANTED BY THE COPS OVER IN THE UK.. HERE ARE SOME LINKS!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...8&page=1&pp=15

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthrea...hlight=ATCPHIL

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthrea...hlight=ATCPHIL

sorry for anyone that has gotten taken by this guy, this is just a warning for anyone else!

Jesse

Quick Reply: Newbie to atcs (have my self a 250r)