ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84 200 Big Red has no fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 200 Big Red has no fire

Ok where to start. I recently rebuilt a 84 200es it ran fine for awhile, but as I have read on these pages it seems to have the same problem as quit a few other bikes. It would run for awhile but after it seemed to get hot it would not restart if turned off. I could start it and run it for awhile and shut it off, come back the next day nothing. But then come back the next day and it would start. I know that it is electrical. I pulled the spark plug and could actually hold the plug and try to start it and not feel a thing. I change the coil and it ran with a good spark until I took it out and ran it hard, turned it off and tried to start it again afew minutes later and nothing. So I changed the CDI unit, it ran for about 5 min and quit and I haven't been able to get it to start since. No spark at plug ( yes I have changed the plug and the plug wire) I have traced the wire harness to see if there is a short or bad ground somewhere and it all looks fine. What else could it be??? I have too much invested to simple junk it or part it out. Can someone help??? Thanks.Text

Old 11-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I pulled the spark plug and could actually hold the plug and try to start it and not feel a thing.

Probably because the other hand wasnt touching metal on the quad.
This is a new way of checking for spark... but could be painful.
The old way is to touch the engine with the plug, to check for spark. If you check it this way, does it have spark?
Faulty kill switch?
Ive seen faulty stators, on older motors, that when they get hot, and expand, an open condition happens.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea ,I have held the plug against the block to ground it and there is no spark. When I first started having this problem, before I began to change parts, holding the plug against the block produced a very weak spark that you really had to look hard to see. Like I said now that the problem has progressed, No spark at all. And I have clean and checked the kill switch. Can you fill me in a little more on the stator that you mentioned?? Thanks

Old 11-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 84 big red use to do the same thing when it got older.

on the left side of the motor at the top, there is a little cover with some wires going in the bottom. I would have to take of that cover and clean the piece in there that turns with some fine emory cloth to remove the rust and make sure the gap is not too big between it and the piece that picks up the current at the top.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The stator is the alternator, which produces the a/c voltage. This is a good place to start, to see if it produces voltage with the motor spinning. There is also a static check, where a ohm meter checks the coils for being open or shorted. there should be a wire bundle coming out of the motor on the stator side, and this is where it can be ohm checked, I dont have a shop manual for that motor, so im not sure which wires are pairs.
Do you have a shop manual ? If not, try the library, they have lots of older repair manuals. Or maybe someone with a manual can give the specs.
Also check over the wire connections , and make sure they are making good contact, and arent loose or corroded.

Old 11-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info everyone. I will try all the suggestions and let you know what happens>>!!

Old 11-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Change Your Stator, this guy used his bigred for farming and the same thing happened so he changed his stator and worked fine after all, he said that is was the stator because it was soposebly sending too much volts to the cdi and coild and fried them. thats all i know about that problem.