ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ban on 3 wheelers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ban on 3 wheelers

wasnt this only for like 10 years or something, not forever? i think it was 1987 they decided this. of course, i am not expecting any trikes now, but is that right?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

They weren't banned per say, they just weren't able to make them anymore. If they banned them we wouldn't be here on this forum chatting about them. We'd all be in jail for breaking the law.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a great page I found on what the SPSC has done and is trying to do. The Ban was on any new production of 3 wheelers, not for ones already produced.

The decree covered a ten-year period. As it neared expiration, the CPSC initiated a series of
comprehensive usage, injury and risk studies designed to determine whether or not the decree
should be extended. The major findings of the usage and injury studies include:
? 95 percent of injured riders under sixteen rode adult-size machines.9
? Children under sixteen accounted for nearly half of all injured ATV riders during the
study period.10
? Children under sixteen were injured more frequently on four-wheel ATVs than the total
population of ATV riders. Overall, 73 percent of the ATVs involved in all incidents were
4-wheel machines. However, four-wheel ATVs were ridden in 87 percent of incidents
involving children twelve to fifteen years old.11
Other research using CPSC data concludes that drivers injured in ATV incidents required
hospitalization four times more frequently (nearly 16 percent compared to 4 percent) than the
average for users of all other consumer products.12
These findings and others demonstrate that the consent decree was ineffective in many
respects. While it successfully barred the production of new three-wheel ATVs, almost every
injured child rode adult-size ATVs, children under sixteen continued to suffer a disproportionate
share of all ATV-related injuries and injuries caused by ATVs continued to be much more severe
when compared with other products.
When the consent decree expired in 1998, the Commission and the major manufacturers
entered into voluntary, company-specific agreements, known generally as ATV Action Plans,
which embody many of the decree’s main tenets (outlined above).

Old 09-17-2005, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to post the other link.... Here is a really great page of all info.

Here is the one from the last post

Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a bit more I found

The 1988 decree, which substituted for formal agency rule-making by the Consumer
Product Safety Commission, required that large warning labels be placed on ATVs by
manufacturers cautioning consumers about the hazards of sharp turns and advising against
use by children under 16 years. Dealers were also required to offer training incentives for
first time buyers and manufacturers were required to monitor and prevent sale of larger ATVs
for use by children under 16. In addition, the manufacturers of ATVs voluntarily agreed to
stop production of the more dangerous 3-wheel vehicle.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok, just one more I found interesting.

Four-Wheelers Just as Dangerous as Three-Wheelers:

Many Americans probably believe that the conversion from three-wheel to four-wheel ATVs in the late 1980s would produce sustained safety improvements. However, medical research and comprehensive analysis by CPSC directly challenge the assumption that four-wheel ATVs are fundamentally safer than the three-wheel machines.

• In a 1998 study, doctors from Arkansas conclude: “Although manufacturers have touted the four-wheel vehicles as being safer than the three-wheel variety, the relative increase in safety is negligible … Injuries sustained in accidents involving four-wheel ATVs are just as severe as those incurred with three-wheel ATVs.” (Russell et al, 1998)

• CPSC concludes that four-wheel ATVs are as prone to tipping over as three-wheelers. It found that ATVs (regardless of the number of wheels) were more likely to tip over back to front than side to side (57 percent to 43 percent of accidents). It also states that, “[T]he proportion of [side] to [backward/ forward] tip over was not different between 3- and four-wheel ATVs.” (All-Terrain Vehicle Injury and Exposure Studies, 1998)

Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

jkass is right we would all be in jail if we wernt allowed to have them im never getting rid of my 200s because i might never get one again

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

im not talking about that.......................
just a ban on making them not riding them,
im not braindead, i have 2 trikes

Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Why do people bring these old threads back??

Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

I want an 06 atc250r!!!! but ..... never happen. the manufacturers are making more money with quads... more parts to re-sell to the customer when they crash.....

Quick Reply: ban on 3 wheelers