ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

250R Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R Mods

Hello all I am new to the forumns here I must say great site!

I have a 85r > fmf pipe, stock silencer,bored .030 over +6 swingarm, Delta force 3 reeds,

I was wondering I heard you can put a thinner head gasket off a 89 cr 250 or take apart the stock one to make compression higher ?? is this a noticable difference?? also I have the stock carb my jetting is 50 pilot 148 main, needle set on 2, no lid on airbox, K&N. I live in MI. does that sound about right for jetting or no?? It has a bog down low ever since I put the v force in any input would be greatly appreciated.

In the future I am thinking about upgrading carbs to a 38mm Kehin stryker any input on this? will it handle it with the slight mods that I have??

Stock silencer how much is that hurting me??

Thanks for any input sorry for all the ?? but just trying to get her dialed in.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Mods

No way to tell if your jetting is correct without doing plug chops and reading the plug.

It's cool to go up to a 38 or 39mm carb but there is no need for the "stryker" That is just a way for them to get a few extra dollars out of you. Just get the normal PWK 38 or 39mm and your good to go. When you are ready for the carb go to www.pro-flo.com as they have the cheapest prices and by far the best service around.

I'd say get a new silencer. You prolly want one that flows a bit better to match the rest of your set up

my $.02

Old 04-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Mods

The 38 mm Airstryker is great. I have one on mine. Yes you will get more compression with the thinner gasket. Not sure how much though. DEFINATELY get a new silncer. ESR has a nice one for a reasonable price. I would check Ebay or Craigs list for these parts first. You will get a much better deal there. I got my carb on Ebay and it has been great, cost me $70.00. And YES you will need recheck your jetting with these mods, even just a silncer change. You will have a lot of fun with this bike. Good luck!!!

Welcome to the forums.

JkAss

Old 04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Mods

Thanks for the input guys I played with it today I got her rippin good plug is nice carmel color but I am confused because I went down to a 42 pilot put clip on 2 and 135 main it really rips now!! FMF says to run 42 pilot 142 main but when I put 142 main in it bogs down when I put clip on 3 it has a bog down low so I guess since plug is right color im goin to leave it.

When it gets warmer out will I need to go bigger or smaller main?? it was about 40 degrees today.

got a used silencer a ct racing silencer off a buddy have to go pick it up tommorow.

how much will that effect jetting??

how big a difference is the 38mm pw verse the air stryker??

with that cr head gasket will I have to run race gas? is this a wise choice or is there another head gasket I can use is it worth the power increase or not noticable??

what craigs list??

Thanks again for the help guys!!

Old 04-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Mods

hey man if u want to bump up ur compression take ur head off and have it milled down a few thousands, shouldnt cost u much NAPA charges me $40 to do a head off of a dodge 360 v8

Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default 250R Mods

The stock head gasket has three pieces. Two thin and one thick. Take it apart and use one of the THIN ones. You will notice a big diffrence in snappiness.

Like sombody else said its up to you to find the correct jetting through mostly plug chops. I can tell you right now when I had my stock bike set up likes urs I was running a 162-165 perfectly which by the sounds of it would be extremely rich for you so that shows, Its really hard for sombody to give you an accurate number on that.

The A/S carb is the best I have ever owned for my R's and is def. worth the money IMO. Your bike will have no problem with this carb, although you MAY notice a slight decrease in bottom end pep but trust me its worth it.

Stock silencer? throw it out.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 250R Mods

Unless you are gonna be a trick rider and do a lot of vertical stunts there is no reason to buy the A.S.(theres really no reason at all) The same bore in a non A.S.(PWK) will give you the same performance at a savings over the A.S.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Mods

Thin head gasket I will do that. I got an LRD silencer put it on and now the bike is running rich than with the stock silencer I dont understand it but now when I did jet it it was about 35deg now its up in the 60s .I have 42 pilot ,stock needle,clip on two 130 main did plug chop and the plug is dark, oh yeah no lid on airbox. It just seems like the main is way small isnt stock 50 pilot 130 main you would think that the bike would need more main jet with the pipe and silencer...... hmmmnn

Old 04-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default 250R Mods

Ok I put the thinner head gasket in I can tell a difference on the low end.

I still cant get carb dialed in though FMF say to use 42 pilot 145 main stock needle and stock clip setting when I put a 145 main in I get a major bog between 1/2 throttle and full I put 130 back in with 42 pilot now I get a sputtering down low.

I think I am going to go out and mess with her some more the main only should effect 3/4 to full throttle correct??

the pilot effect 1/4 to 3/4 ?? 42 pilot is that too small?? needle on 2 goin to move it to 3 and see what happens??

I understand that all bike are different but if I could get somewhere in the ball park I would appreciate it.

I shouldnt have to go smaller than stock settings (carb) should I ?? (pilot, main)

Thanks sooo much!!