ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Spark plug wire

Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wire

Guys, I have a question about spark plug wires used on honda atc`s.
Since my 185s is over 20 years old, the plug wire has got to have more resistance in it than ever. I seen how it just slips into the coil directly, Is there anyone that makes a aftermarket spiral core wire? or is there anyway I can make one? A spiral core wire has far less resistance and would really aide in spark delivery.
I know on many cars since I`ve been a mechanic all my life that plug wires on cars can build up so much resistance after time it sets in the coil until it cooks it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wire

Update. I unscrewed the wire out of the coil of my 185, and removed the seal, washer, and threaded cap. I slightly thinned down a spiral core spark plug wire that I had extra from a set I`d installed on my fathers pick up. Since the 185 coil uses a contact terminal in the center, I installed the cap, washer and seal on the spiral core wire and worked it into the coil`s contact terminal stud, and threaded the cap on, then cut the wire to the desired lenth which was equal to the factory wire, and installed a spark plug terminal crimped with the spiral core wire, then installed the boot, did a trial fit on the plug and it came out just right. After I clean the coil`s contacts from the rust and years of debris, I plan to test it on my 185 after I finish the top end build which consists of a new carb, high performance cam, a 200X piston that`s 25mm oversized and a cobra exhaust. I`m hoping the less resistance of the spiral core wire will make for easier starting, extended spark plug life, and possibly slightly better combustion from the increased spark power. In theory it seems to be the logical answer, but I could be wrong.