ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

I need help taking off triple tree!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help taking off triple tree!

I bought an '85 200M a while back, and I did'nt notice that the front wheel was crooked until after I got it home. I recently bought a used triple tree and forks that are straight, but I'm having trouble removing the old triple tree. I got the handle bars off and the neck bridge, but that's where I'm stuck. Does the nut or whatever it is that is over the ball bearings unscrew? I've been trying to unscrew it, but it does'nt budge. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

Yes. After you take the top bridge off you have to unscrew that odd looking nut. You're supposed to use a special tool. I used a big vise grip on mine, but try not to chew it all up. Keep in mind the ball bearings are in there loose and will fall out all over the place. I replaced them with a set of All ***** stem bearings. They are roller bearings, way easier to work with. Soak it with some good penetrating oil. I use Sea Foam Deep Creep, good stuff.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Ok great, I pretty much knew it needed to be unscrewed, but I just could'nt get it to move. I'll soak it with some stronger stuff than what I've been using and then try to unscrew it with a pipe wrench or something. It shows a little bit of rust, but hopefully it won't keep fighting me too much longer, thanks.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

I was able to remove the adjusting nut with some big plyers and a metal pole slipped over the plyers for a little extra leverage. I will have to look for some new bearings, but I don't think they will be hard to find. I'm guessing that on the reinstall, you keep the bearings in place with some grease.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

I just did the same thing with my 200e. I guess you can replace the existing ones using grease if you didn't loose any... but the best thing to do is replace them with a new set of needle bearings. I used All *****. They are a contained unit, kinda like wheel bearings. Just put them on and go. Only trick is that you have to get the bottom bearing race off the steering stem first. I used a Dremel with a cutting disk to cut a slice in the race, then gave it a whack with a chisel. Broke right off. The All ***** set comes with a top and bottom bearing. They look the same, but bottom has a little bigger inner diameter than the top so dont try and pound the top one to the bottom you'll ruin it.