ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   ATC 3-Wheelers (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atc-3-wheelers/)
-   -   185s questions (https://atvconnection.com/forums/atc-3-wheelers/293597-185s-questions.html)

leokempf 07-08-2008 12:19 AM

185s questions

1. how can i adjust the idle? I think the adjustment screw I can see is for the mixture...on the right side.

2. there's a little splined shaft just rear of the shifter shaft....what is this?

alexdc03 07-08-2008 09:24 AM

185s questions

the mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb, the screw on the side is to adjust the carb slide for the idle.

SMFREY 07-10-2008 12:04 AM

185s questions

The splined shaft near the shifter should have a white plastic with red pointer this shows what gear and points to neutral
Yow should see the splined shaft rotate as you move the shifter through the gears
Ray

leokempf 07-10-2008 12:13 AM

185s questions

thanks guys. I'm afraid I don't see an adjustment screw on the bottom of the carb... the one on the side has the screw with the spring.

SMFREY 07-10-2008 12:31 AM

185s questions

The screw in thew side with spring is idle speed
On the bottom going straight up is the air fuel screw
Ray

leokempf 07-10-2008 12:49 AM

185s questions

thanks...i'll take a look at that...but really just needed to adjust the idle anyway. since you guys are so knowledgeable about this trike - when we got it home, the brakes were not working at all....the front brake, i got to work by maxing out the adjustment, but it still barely works...i assume it just needs new pad or drum...whatever it has. the back brakes do not move at all...the pedal and the caliper will not budge...the caliper is not pulled in, but will not budge. Is something stuck in the back brakes or are they just worn out? Any ideas?

SMFREY 07-14-2008 12:12 PM

185s questions

It is probably rusted
All you can do is disassemble and check the system out
then go forward
Thanks
Ray

leokempf 02-08-2009 09:27 PM

185s questions

I took the thing apart and the actual "pads" were not connected to the assembly anymore... I cleaned everything ordered new sets.

I found the vertical mixture screw...I didn't see it before because it's covered by a hose that runs back to the side of the carb. Is this normal? Also, can someone with a manual let me know what the suggested settings for the idle and mixture screws?

honda185s 02-09-2009 11:20 PM

185s questions

Thats the carb drain line, You don't actually need it at all, one end is supposed to be attached the hole on the bottom of the carb and the other end just hangs.

The default, setting for the mixture screw is two full turns out from LIGHTLY seated, do not over tighten that screw, you could damage the seal. The idle is supposed to be at around 1400rpm, but you can't really measure that unless you have a tach or a timing light. You'll know if its too low because it will stall on occasion, and too high and it will start to engage the centrifugal clutch. You could just type Honda 185s into Youtube and listen to other peoples idle on a few videos.

leokempf 02-09-2009 11:33 PM

185s questions

I see the carb drain line - it's at the bottom. The line I'm talking about actually attaches to the mixture screw (fits over it) and the other end of this hose attaches to the side of the carb further up the side. So, the mixture screw is actually hidden during operation. I wonder if this is not stock? It's got a cobra exhaust on it.

Thanks for the default settings...I'll try those out tomorrow. I just played around with them today and I could get it idling OK, but if I revved it up pretty good it'd linger at high rpm's for a while before returning to idle.

thanks for the help.