ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200x spittin and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200x spittin and sputtering

Hi all..newbie here....Well i have a question...I have an 84 200x and I changed the carb to a 30mm...well b4 the air filter was put on it ran great...now I just got the filter this weekend,put it on and now, when I'm wide open in any gear it acts as if its either gettin 2 much gas or not enough....then when u ease off the throttle it starts runnin smooth then you can you can ease back into it till u r wide open and it's fine.....any ideas 2 what the problem is? Thanks.......

Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Reading this, I have some questions:
What air filter were you running before, and what air filter are you running now?
Have you looked at your spark plug yet? Is it black and crudded up? Or is it tan-brown and flaky?
Did you change the jetting on the carb?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

it had the stock filter for the stock carb...now since the carb was changed to a 30 mm we had to go to a filter that about a 1" 7/8" which is what my local atv dealer said would work...even tho it's about 2mm bigger than the 1 3/4 diameter inlet on the carb....they said it would be fine.....the plug is good...and the jetting was never messed with....this is my 1st trike so I dont have alot of experience with them...the enigine has been rebuilt but the upgrades that were done is another question it was rebuilt 2 yrs ago and was never ridden much after that...the reason the carb was changed is after it had sat for all that time sumthin happened with the carb where when it was running there was gas runnin out of it so it was taken apart and cleaned Not rebuilt...just cleaned and put back on and the gas was still runnin out of it...when the new carb was put on and ran a cpl of times around the house without the filter it ran fine...till the air filter was put on

Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey all....would jetinng make a difference in this situation? my carb seems 2 either be gettin 2 much or not enough fuel......should i go higher or lower? i went from stcok to a lil bigger 30 mm carb.......and wide open it spits n sputters almost like its drowning or not gettin enough fuel

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, jetting will probably help. It breaths better without the air filter. Some my guess would be that you have a bigger jet in the new carb and when the air filter is on your choking the bike with to much fuel and not enough air.

You need to check the jet size in the old carb and then match it.
But before doing anything answer the other guys post about what the plug looks like.
He is trying to help you save the motor. If you are running to lean you can burn up the piston.

Good luck and always be careful when playing with carbs. Just be sure to ask questions before riding it.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't match the stock jet size in the new carb. More air is able to travel through the larger (new) carb, meaning that with a stock size main jet, you'll be really lean. Re-reading everything and based off saying it ran fine without the air cleaner, and has a hesitation now with the air cleaner, I'd lean towards the carb running way rich. If that is the case (CONFIRM BY READING YOUR PLUG FIRST!), I'd say go one or two jet sizes smaller, and run your trike for a while. Re-read your plug and adjust the jetting accordingly.

My first question, though, is why increase the carb size? Have you put on an aftermarket exhaust you didn't mention? Did you have the head re-worked with bigger valves and a port & polish job? Did you put in a wild cam? Without doing all of these things, I'd be very inclined to say that there is no reason what-so-ever to put on a larger carb. The problem you were describing of gas running out of the stock carb sounds to me like your float was out of adjustment, and the local ATV dealer screwed you into a new carb & air cleaner to fix an adjustment issue in an otherwise good carb.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the float just not being adjusted or installed properly. I just didn't want to be mean.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wasn't trying to be mean, either. The line of thinking popped into my head while I was writing and it just kept flowing.

If you take offense to my thoughts, I apologize. It was only meant as a question, and perhaps a poorly written warning. I probably should have phrased that last part as, "ATV dealers are notorious about selling you really expensive parts when there is a minor adjustment needing to be made, and be very careful about believing them when they say, "You need this new part.""

Sorry if I offended you

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

If I am reading this right the engine ran great with new carb then new air filter installed and engine blubbers on top end WOT
If this is the case
And engine runs great without new filter or no filter
Then you either need to get less restrictive air filter (bigger)
Or jet bike down
See your engine is talking to you
And it is telling you one of two things to do
And depending how you listen will determine what to do next
If this were my engine
I would look at a larger air filter as if it is running great with out air filter
I would find the largest filter I could and fit
Yes I know what the dealer told you
But you went with larger carb and engine seems to handle
So go larger filter
If still blubbers at WOT then look at jetting down as blubbering at WOT is to much fuel
But I am suggesting my approach as if you just jet down now
Then I really feel you are leaving power on the table and if that is the case then why did you go with bigger carb in first place
Just my thoughts
Also when you do get more dialed in then check plug
Get to WOT and at same time Kill engine pull in clutch keep at WOT stop and check plug for color
Yes it takes some doing
But then you know what engine is doing
You are looking for Tan/Brown Good
White is Lean
Black/sutty is Rich
Start with New Plug
Good luck
Ray

Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

was just wondering ....how do u adjust the float....thats the only reason the carb was changed....it was running fine then 1 day started it up and drove it awhile then the gas started drippin out....i still have the stcok carb for it and now the only way it runs without spittin and sputerin wide open is the choke is damn near all the way up....thanks.....if i have to I'll put the old carb back on it 4 now

Quick Reply: 200x spittin and sputtering