ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

ATC500R

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI THERE I'M LOOKING FOR ANYONE THAT HAS A ATC500R I KNOW THAT THEY ARE OUT THERE I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO THE OWNERS!!! SO SPEAK UP!!!

Old 08-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kasey,

I am the guy from another web site that talked to you a couple of months back about building myself an ATC500.... I havent gotten that much accomplished so far, but I have got my 85' frame assembled to the point of having a rolling chassis, pretty much everything but the radiators (I have them, just not installed), I have a guy rebuilding the 88' CR500 motor for me at this time. He is doing the work in northern california and I will porbably not be going out there to get from him for about a month or so.... but in the mean time I was wondering if there was anything that you might be able to suggest that I do to the frame while I am waiting to get my motor back from him? Anything that I will have to cut away for cleance or anything that I can add on to the frame while I am waiting to get the motor back.

So far my progress has been to get together a rolling chassis, I got most of the parts from friends, and off of ebay to get this thing together... most of the part are in good shape, but my plan is to get this thing built and running good and then tear it down to repaint and rebuild it so it looks good and all parts are reliable. At this point I think that I have 95% of the parts that I will need to get ting going as soon as I get my motor back... although I do need to pick up another swing arm so that I can build an extended one, and probably a stiffer spring for the rear shock.

One of the big concers that I have is the exaughst pipe.... I have called around locally and there is one shop that I found who would be willing to make me a pipe, but he wants to charge me between $500-$700 for it because he build pipes for 250's and not too many 500's so he said it would be alot of experimenting to get one that makes good power.... but what I was thinking is I have a paul turner pipe from the 250r and a stock pipe from a CR500 and they really do not look to much different in size, do you think that I would be able to make a descent pipe by combining the parts from both pipes....? I don't know, let me know what you think....

I have to admit that this is my first 2stroke project, I have been mostly into 4strokes. I have ridden a few CR500's and really like the power that the motors make, and have wanted a ATC500 for along time, and am glad to finally be working on one. I am sure I will have to go throught the learning curve with the 2stroke as far as tuning goes but I am a quick learner so.... hopefully all will be good...

Currently my other bikes are and XR600 that I ride mostly, but I also ride a 350X and am going to be attempting to build a XR650X with a XR650 motor and a 350X frame.... but I havent really started on that one yet... I have a donor bike and also the XR650 motor with complete wiring and electronics, but it lloks like it's going to be a pain in the rear to get the motor in there... so far I just look at this one and wonder how I will get it done....

I guess that is it for not, but I look forward to any suggestions you or anyone else may have about modifications I need to make to the frame for this ATC500 project of mine.... I can't wait to get my motor back for this thing.... let me know.... Also if anyone has any suggestions about shoehorning a 650 into the 350x frame, speak up....

Talk to you all soon....

Old 08-23-2002, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

there is no such thing as a REAL atc500, the only 500 trike was the tiger 500. there is one guy in here who actaually made and finished a cr500 in trike frame tho..

Old 08-23-2002, 06:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just because Honda did not make an ATC500R does not mean that there is no such thing as an ATC500R... Haven't you ever built anything with parts that have come from many different sources... I happen to be in the engineering field and have built and designed many things in the industry that I am in, that have never been built before... so just because it is made by myself or someone else with the inspiration, determination, and the skills does not mean that it can't exist...

Where would we be in todays world if people did not try to do things that where inventive, challenging, and never before attempted.... We surely would not be having a conversation in a fourm on that big invention called the internet....

Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

oh xr i know people have made them theirselves, i even mentioed that in my post. i was just making sure casey knew that honda never actually came out with their atc500 even tho they were planning on making one. i have a friend who makes custom quads alot, he has a kx520 motor in a tecate 4 chasis, a ninja 500 in another tecate chasis, and he tecate 3 motor in a mojave chasis.

Old 08-23-2002, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

juggalo
kasey already has one he is just looking for other owners.I have seen pics of it and that thing is bad a$$

Old 08-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

ah i see..well thats cool. you have to be nuts to ride one of those things

Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

The 250R and the CR500 pipe differ quit a bit actually. The 500 engine generates quite a bit more exhaust gas then the 250 so the length of the expansion chamber has to be different. Also the port timing plays a role in how the taper of the pipe is designed at both ends. If you can get ahold of the formulas to calculate everything you could build your own exuaust if you had the skills. It may look crude but whose gonna see it when you're on the pipe and blowing by them? PM me at a later date and I'll see if I can't help you with the formulas when I dig them up.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

hey i don't need a pipe!!! i have a cr500 powered 86 250r now i would like to talk to anyone else that has one of these machines,,, i know i am not the only one to have one!!!

http://www.prerunner.us/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=19;t=000003

here is link to a pict of it,,,,,

Old 08-24-2002, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool bike, how is the vibration? I talked to a guy at the sand drags not long ago and he said the vibration was terrible. Said the bike was only fun for dragging because of the vibrations...And to the dude that is building one, CT built his pipe. Check the pic...

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: ATC500R