ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

seriously in need of basic racing tips for me and my raptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003 | 07:09 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default seriously in need of basic racing tips for me and my raptor

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I had my first practice on a mx track with my 660r raptor and within the first 30 minutes I mananaged to flip end over end after nozing my raptor on an uphill jump and I think I have already broken my first bone(my wrist).
I seriously could use some basic jumping tips and any other trouble areas that a beginner might have.
thanx

2003 660r yamaha raptor
all stock (so far)

hangin in there!!!

Old 05-18-2003 | 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

1st off start with table tops as they are less demanding on the body if you screw up. Start jumping at a slower speed and build up as you get the feel of yourself and machine. Always keep the throttle even or bump it to keep the frontend up. If you have any doughts when you heading towards the jump roll it cause fear is what make you hurt. Once you master how to control you machine in the air and landing then try doubles and triples as by then you should have your speed -vs- distance down pretty well. If you are haveing trouble with the frontend noiseing add a little preload to your front shocks by taking them up 1 click at a time until they lift you off the face of the jump in the angle you like. Lastly keep the faith in yourself cause the more comfortable you are jumping the better you will get.

Old 05-18-2003 | 10:32 PM
|
Trailblazer

thanx for the tips . I know I should be confident in jumping , but after wrecking so soon it did put a little fear in me.(hangin in there)
I think I will adjust the preload.anything to keep the nose up. But what are the consequence's of landing on the grab bar.
Also I was wondering about where to sit on the seat or even if I should be sitting on the seat at all while jumping.

Old 05-19-2003 | 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

If you where sitting when you wrecked that would explane why you noised in when you sit when you jump you putting your rear shock in its preload and when it hits the top of the jump it unloaded make the back light and pointing the noise down. Stand up when you come to a jump and center your weight over your pegs at 1st then shift your weight as needed to help the quad thru the air. Some shorter or even long jumps with the correct speed will let you sit when you jump so you can land on the down hill portion of the jump. You dont want to land on the grab bar either as i seen a good rider on a 440ex do in practice and he ended up breaking a lower vertabra in his back. I have done both landed in the face of a triple and landed on the rear wheels and came off the back of the quad neither felt good! Like they say you have to get right back on the horse that threw you. When in the air remember that pinning the throttle will bring the front up some and nailing the rear brake will drop the nose. Good Luck

Old 05-19-2003 | 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like blazin and i are in the same boat. i have not wrecked like that yet, but have had a raptor for about a month now. i would like to start racing soon. anymore tips would be much appreciated. there is a new predator in town. he wants to race me. any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2003 | 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the same boat. I just broke my collar bone. I rode my quad three days later just to prove I could to myself. A little smarter but still crazy.

Old 05-31-2003 | 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Breaking your collar or shoulder is much better than dislocating it. It will hear stronger than before it was broken. I have broken my shoulder and two ribs in a bicycling accident. I had a friend dislocate his shoulder. Once that happens, there's always the chance that it will go out again, and resetting it is excrutiating.

Mark

Old 05-31-2003 | 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Its way better to flat land a jump than nose dive and get rolled by your machine. Like Ridley said never let off on the face of a jump...once you make it that far it's on

Old 05-31-2003 | 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

I busted my forearm and never stoped riding first I had a cast but when I went riding the bone seprated. so they put in a steel plate the scar looks sweet and I was back to work in 1 month instead of 3. the part that sucked worst was the bill$$$$$$$.

Old 07-23-2005 | 11:33 AM
Range Rover

Glad to see some more newbees. I am gonna start racing my Raptor. Doesn't your front brake bring the nose down some also? Need some suggestions on setting up Raptor. Stock shock setup. Tires? Is smallest the best? What is best way to attack whoop section? Thx. and gl to all of ya newbees.

Quick Reply: seriously in need of basic racing tips for me and my raptor