ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

GNCC races at Gilmer, TX (Which Class should I Run?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GNCC races at Gilmer, TX (Which Class should I Run?)

On the GNCC website, I read that the ATVs races to be held at Gilmer, TX on Feb 1st are split up into the following 2 separate races and the particular race you run will depend on which class you enter.

Saturday-ATVs 10 a.m.
Utility, Stock, Women, Novice, Super Senior, First Year Racer

Saturday -ATVs 1 p.m.
Pro, A and B classes, 4-St Mod, Sport, Sr, Vet, Jr

I'm new to GNCC racing and have a question about which class I should enter using my Prairie 650. It would appear to me that the faster paced race will be the 1pm race b/c of the Pros and 4 stroke modified quads that run in that race. That being the case, would you recommend a newbie to GNCC racing (like me) to race in one of the classes that run during the 10am race? It would seem logical to me that I need to be in the slower paced race so that I am not constantly worried about getting run over by a Pro.

What do you think?

Old 12-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thinking. You will want to enter the 10 o'clock race in whatever class suits you best. Probably utility.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Definately run the 10am race! You can then watch the Pros and realize how slow you are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] There are several classes you can enter: Utility Modified, First Year Racer, or 4-Stroke C (there will be three 4-Stroke C classes divided up by age next year, although, utilitys are rarely seen in C classes). ATVs race on Saturday, which I believe is January 31st. You'll need an ATVA/AMA card ($39), $40 for registration, $10 for gate fee. A pit crew that can turn a wrench would be nice too.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

98Recon,
Any guesses as to whether I need to stop for gas? I have a 4.5 gal tank and I can't imagine that I'll burn it all in a 2 hour race (even at WOT). I guess I just need to practice riding it for 2 hours straight to see how much gas I burn. Without the need to refuel during the race and assuming that I don't break down/have a flat tire, I assume there is no need to make any pitt stops right? Or is there something I'm missing here?

As for the GNCC race itself...It appears to me from just reading the GNCC racing website that the 10 am race will start all racers (in the designated classes for that race) at the same time? Or do they actually start one class of racers...wait a minute and then start the next class of raecers and so on? What exactly do they mean when they say the race will last 2 hours plus a 15 minute lead time?

Any feedback you can give me is most appreciated!

Old 12-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

I doubt that you will have to stop for gas, or any other reason. The best way to find out is to go ride for 2.5 hours as fast as you can without stopping.

Each class starts by itself, except for the Super Senior and Women's classes start together. Starts are usually 1 minute apart. Sometimes if there is a large class or a wreck in the first few turns the next class will start two minutes later.

The two hours with a 15 minute lead time means that if the leaders come in less than 15 minutes before the two hour mark the race can be ended. A simpler way of saying it is that if the leaders end a lap after 1hr. 45 min. the race can be ended.

If a rider comes up behind you that is obviously not in your class, let them bye. A 375lb sport quad can still punt a 600lb utility off the trail.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't know how much area there will be for pitting, but get there on Friday if you can to find a good spot on the track. Get to know people, it makes racing them a lot more fun. If it's not too tough, you would be better off removing the winch.

Drink plenty of water before the race. I am constantly drinking water for a couple of days before a race. Even on race day I drink a several bottles of water.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The state will be each class on a sperate line by them selves and each line will start a min aapart or one min after the line(class) infront. Play riding for 2 hours is not the same as racing for 2 hours. With the stock tank you will need gas for sure. If not sure stop and get a drink. The time thing is that they need to stop the morning race so that the 1 o'clock race will start on time. So they will try to stop the morning race around 2 hours give or take. So if the lap times are long and the fastest rider is coming in just before 2 hrs the race will be stopped. Other wise that rider would go out for another lap and not come in till just before that start of the nest race and then you would still have all of the others riders on the course and the scoring would be a mess. Not sure if I explained it good, hopefully you will get the idea. Don't plan on doing good, for the 1st race just plan on finishing and that will be good. If you should happen to finish good, excllent.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Many Thanx for the insightful info! I have a few follow-ups.

First, since the race may end a little before or after the 2 hour mark....does that mean the only way to tell when the race is over is to look for the checkered flag you get to the start/stop line on the track? In otherwords, is there anyway to know for sure that you are on the last lap so that you can kick it up a notch?

Second, are there any good strategies to running a 2 hour GNCC race or is it as simple as get to the front of your class as quickly as you can and stay there?

BTW, I have no false illusion of placing on my very first race ever! My goal for this first race is exactly what you guys said it should be...to finish the race (hopefully without major injury to me and my quad!). If I happen to do well, that's just gravy....but it would be TOTALLY unexpected!

As for the winch idea...that's a good idea as the winch adds 19 lbs to the front end. However, it looks a like a pain to remove on my quad so I'll probably leave it on for this first race (If I later decide to get into racing often, I will then reconsider removing it). So I figure I'll be one of the only idiots at the GNCC race with a winch!!! Kinda makes me special [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Maybe I'll have to change my name to Winchboy!

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

They will have a two laps to go card at the finish line and then a white flag.

Probably the best strategy is to stay with the pack on the first lap, try to memorize the track, and look for new lines. If you try to ride hard when you don't know the track you are just going to get worn out or hurt. When you feel like you know the track you can ride faster.

19lbs will really be noticable in the steering.

Old 12-25-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Gilmer Texas? I live in Gilmer county GA, cool. Jus enter the 10oclock race