ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

tips on GP racing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on GP racing!

hey guys i am going ro race in my first GP race this year in april and hope to do many more in the state of washington!!!!! what kind of tips do you guys and girls have??? I got a set of nerf bars coming and also the gyt-r pipe full pipe coming also. any tips would be handy!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Get your conditioning up to par. It would really suck to lead the first lap, only to DNF or run out of energy near the end. Most of all, HAVE FUN. Haz

Old 02-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hazmaster is right, it's best to pace yourself. Endurance is the key.
For this race in particular, I would also recommend talking to your teamates, come up with a strategy and discuss when you will change riders. I know a couple riders who will be carrying two-way radios so they can call in a few minutes before they get to the pit so the other team member(s) will be ready, or if something happens on the track, he can get help.
You may already have this, but I would recommend a camelpack as well.
Also, if you get a chance, ride the track before the race. That way if there are any problem areas, you will know about them instead of getting suprised. There are going to be a couple practice days before the race. Loki and I will be going over there on March 20 or 21 for practice so we can get an idea of what the track will be like. Let us know if you want to hook up for practice.
Oh, and most important, have fun!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

hey lisa finally someone has posted a msg on this one,i though ti would get more msg. Techtip101 and I are on a team together and we are planning on going over on that same weekend!!!!!!! I already have a camelback but the two ways is a good idea. I also have a set of those also, hands free also, so i guess i need to get in shape for this race!!!!!

Looks like i will be getting my nerf bars this week and also my GYT-R carbin fiber full pipe this week also. Did dan get his yfz back up and going?????? or is he racing his ds????wasnt he going to sell that ds?????what ever happened?
thanks for any help,
adam

Old 02-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hi Adam,
Yes, the yfz is back up and running. Dan just ordered new black plastic for it. It's going to look really cool with the red frame.
I just got the full LRD 4 pro exhaust for the craptor. Gave it an awesome power increase. It's like riding a totally different bike! The only problem is that the carb is leaking gas now so I'm going to have to tear it apart again.
I'm not sure if we are going to sell the DS or not now. I really hate to get rid of it. It's really fast, and I love riding it in the dunes. We are going to be replacing the dumb works shocks on it though. Those things really suck.

As far as conditioning goes for the race, I have personally been doing a lot of cardio stuff and strength training. If you don't have endurance, you will be hurting!
You may also want to look into a steering dampener if you are running stock suspension. If the track gets really choppy, your arms will start to get tired really fast!
I would also recommend getting your suspension dialed in, if you don't already. It will help a lot.

We will definitely be at Goldendale on the 20th so we can get an idea of what our lap times will be and stuff like that.
I'll have to check out that carbon fiber exhaust of yours, it sounds nice! It's good to hear you got something out of all the problems you were having with getting the raptor fixed.
Talk to ya later!
Lisa