ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Buying another quad for Hare Scrambles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2000, 04:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a highly modified 98 Scrambler that I race in GNCC and local Hare Scrambles. I did not have racing in mind when I bought it, but I do believe I have done a fairly good job of transforming it into a woods racer, all things considered. My questions are: What would you buy for this type of racing? 400EX Raptor Cannondale GASGAS ?? I would be interested in hearing from racers with the 400EX. I currently run in the Utility class when one is offered or the 30+ class. I am planning on keeping the Scrambler for the extremely muddy or snowny races. I can't wait for all these new models to come out so we can read the comparison tests. This forum is just full of speculation and p*****g contests at this point!

Old 07-07-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

I think the 400ex is a nice machine for the scramble races (obvious if you've been to one lately, that's all you see!)

Anyhow, there are many mods for the Honda and it does seem to be popular. However many are bored quickly with it's stock performance, so it'll be a rare instance to see one stock.

I'm considering racing my DS in a scramble. I've already talked with the spokesman in my district about allowing me into the 250-500cc class. He said there wouldn't be a problem and they planned on adjusting the classes soon because all the guys on 400ex's are getting mad having to race a DS

I feel you should choose a bike that feels comfortable overall for racing.

Old 07-09-2000, 05:24 AM
Pro Rider

Your scrambles must not be as tight as ours... The DS would never be able to compete here, I wouldn't be mad if you entered it though, as long as you weren't in my way when you had your front tires caught in the trees, or were caught in an off camber turn with a nasty washout! That DS would be hard to get around, too big.

Seriously, I'd hate to be riding anything wider than my EX thru our woods. The EX seems to have a great balance of being wide enough, but not too wide and a low center of gravity which I think will be a huge advantage over the Raptor with it's narrow, top heavy stance. The Cannondale could pose a great threat (if it actually makes it to market), but may be a little wide in the front, it's the bike I currently am keeping my eye on.

A stock EX is capable of winning races, but if you want to set it up well, spend your money on aftermarket suspension (TCS or Axis) and a steering stablilzer (Scotts or WER) first, the stock engine has plenty of power unless you need to make up for shortcomings elsewhere (or if the course is really open and has a lot of high speed drag races). My engine is stock, my suspension is not, it does well. Also, around here, class for class, the 400EX's typically turn in better lap times than the 250R's. We generally have around 100 bikes show up for each race.

KawasakiKid, watch out for that tree! They hurt... Good luck, let us know how the DS fares!

Old 07-10-2000, 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have already raced some harescrambles and GNCC you know that a 250r with the right accesories is hard to beat. I still think that the 400 is too tipsy for some things,especially rutted out off-cambers. It does seem to have enough power in the tight stuff, but you can get blistered on the more open places. If you got one I would at least put the suspension on it like 86atc250r posted. All the engine power in the world is no good unless you can get it to the ground. Also a guy told me to shave an 1/8th of an inch off the steering stem stops to get it to turn tighter. I haven't done this yet but I am thinking about it. Whatever you do, have fun doing it and don't get in over your head. You can spend a ton of money on any one of the quads you choose.

Old 07-15-2000, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider

Personally, the best race quad for ANYTHING with atleast 1 turn, it's the 250R. You'd be very impressed at how much easier success would come if you raced a 250R. Other than that, for hare scrambles, go with a 400EX if you are really wanting a 4-stroke instead of a 2-stroke.

Old 07-17-2000, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

I race a 250x in hare scrambles and gncc. I race in the open 4 stroke B class with any 4 stroke that wants to enter. Even though I race against 400exs I can still beat them through the tight stuff. Most of XC racing is the rider. The quad doesn't hit the trees by itself. And the mud doesn't all of a sudden swallow the quad. The most important thing in XC racing is TRACTION and SUSPENSION. You NEED good tires! It's a plain fact. Flat tires suck. I've been in the worst situations when it comes to flat tires and XC racing. Suspension is also a plus. When you are racing for hours with the throttle on and off your arms are gona feel like they are gona fall off. Otherwise, the only time you need low end drag racing power is for the start. Starts are critical in XC racing. If I were you I would plan of racing a 400ex or depending on your size a 300ex.