ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

How to pass in an MX race

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-1999, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my last MX race I started paying more attention on how to pass people. Probably because I have gotten better, so I actually pass people.

What is everyone’s tips for passing?
What part of the track is your favorite?
How do execute the pass?
What kind of pass is the safest and easiest?
Stuff like that.

A few passes that I remember from the race.

Passing crossing a table top. I came out of the corner to the inside of my victim, and put more throttle than he did climbing the face. By the time we were both in the air, we were about even. But when I landed, a little further than he but not on the down side of the jump, I had enough speed to pull a little in front of him. This set me up to take the inside line for the next turn.

Most of my other passes were rider error. I would simply push the guy until he overshot the turn. I could see him keep looking back and seeing me on his tail. Then every straight I would pull to the side and floor it. His only option was to match my throttle response to avoid a loss of position. When we enter the corner, I would slow behind him then watch as he overshoots the corner. This kind of pass does not work as well with the 400EX’s since they handle better than my quad (Banshee). But almost worked without fail on the Suzuki 500’s.

The track I raced on is real sandy and gets whooped out fast. A few of the turns will have a faster (less whooped but longer) line other than the main trail. While most riders will play follow the leader, I can pull out to the outside line and slide around the turn. If I get a good shot I can be in position next to them to get the inside line for the next turn.

How do all you guys do it?

Evan – I remember in the old forums that you were looking to race despite being under 16. In Southwick MA, I think, the 90 – 300 cc class can be raced if you are under age. They increased the size from 200 to 300 to get more people. To make sure contact the NEAVTA in the links. They put quad racing back at Southwick. I know you live in NJ, but it should not be that far and it is a good time. 2-3hour trip maybe?

Slash
99 Banshee
98 Blaster

Old 07-19-1999, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

Passing is key, especially if you are like me and never got good starts. I always had to pass. The best pass in slow speed corners is the block pass. A block pass is pretty much how it sounds. You run to the inside of the rider aiming for an intersecting point where the rear of your machine just barely comes in front of the other riders machine. This causes him to lose momentum and you are able to keep going. This pass is very effective because it allows you to put some rapid distance between you and your opponent.

Another technicque is sqaring off. You can do this in corners or straights. The only way to describe it is you go wide and when the other rider attempts to block you you come back to the inside as quickly as possible and power past him. You can set this up in a series of turns like a S-turn or a snake pit. By causing the other rider to anticipate your move you are able to change his lines and pass him.

These technicques are hard to describe, but if you watch some Supercross or Motocross on ESPN2 you will be able to see the basic principles. Of course learning is in the doing.

Adam Smith
99 400EX

Old 07-22-1999, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

Keys to passing -

You need to plan ahead. Find spots in practice that allow for inside or outside lines. Use lines that the guy in front is not using. Follow the leader is not the game. Momentum is key. Keep your corner speed high by using wide sweeping (as much as the track will allow) turns. Watch the pros or the fast guys at your track. Pay attention to where the enter a turn, get on the gas and exit the turn. Set up the guy in front of you. Block passing is good, but if you are too far back, you'll likely hit the guy with your front wheel and lose steering. Make sure you're able to out brake him on the inside so that he can't square off. You can also try the outside. Stuff passing is simply getting in front of the guy on the straight and stuffing him too far inside on the turn. It helps if there's a post or ledge there. He won't want to bail, so he'll likely back off. Don't be afraid of contact, just plan where it will be and make darn sure you know what happens when you run into someone. Sometimes you will surprise yourself. Find a rough section that slows everyone down. Watch the fast guys go through it and try to copy what they are doing. You'll be surprised how much faster you can actually go if you just say "F--- It!, I'm holding it wide open through here!", but then again you'll bail more often that way too. Do you want to go fast, or do you want to not crash?

Last words -

The definition of a pro is someone that makes it look really easy.

Any idiot can go fast in a straight line… the corners separate the men from the toddlers.

If you don't bail sometimes, then your not going fast enough.

If your not afraid (referring to the stupid NO FEAR stickers) you're not going fast enough either.

Don't jump over someone on a tabletop unless you're absolutely sure he won't make a stupid turn underneath you!!! (speaking from experience.. he went to the hospital, I went to the pits with a broken bike).

Practice, practice, practice.

Find the fastest guy at the track and try to follow him during practice.

Chuck - '99 Banshee

Old 07-25-1999, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I remember in My first MX race, my dad said from recemnt MX experience that if U come into a corner with somone on Your tail(Real Close) that U should just quickly slow down, Ur apponent willquickly brake hard, and hopefuly forget to pull in his clutch and kill His quad. I tried it and it worked, it then slowed down alot of the other racers behind cuz they had to go around the racer, it works real well, Try it.
John
88 Hon 250R

Old 07-27-1999, 03:49 AM
Trailblazer

I would just like to say kudos to all the
people reply in this post, thanks for all
the usful information.

------------------
Herbert~~99Wolverine & 89LT520

[This message has been edited by herbert c. (edited 07-27-1999).]

Old 06-24-2000, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I remember in my first and only mx race I passes the most people due to other rider error or on a widestraight.and on some off the big dirt bike jumps most of the other guys would slow down and try to single them and I would try to double all them. I passed a couple people this way. the key to mx I haven't quite grasped yet but in my next race which is hopefully before july 23 but I know I will be racing july 23 I am going this weekend with my cousin and his freind who have 400ex's and i will be tring out my 250r's nw mods for the first time on A mx track.

moded 86 trx250r
moded 87 LT500R
97 300ex
96 warrior
90 blaster
pics of all coming soon

Old 06-24-2000, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider

good post chuck

you got it in a nut shell!

Old 06-25-2000, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Use your instinct's

Old 07-05-2000, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

JUST RUN THEM OVER..INTIMIDATION...PRESSURE THEM, THEN BLOW BY...

Old 07-05-2000, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

OK, whats most likely gonna happen if you connect wheels with another ATV?? 2 wheels turning, wont that do sumpthin bad?!?!