ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

thumb throttles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thumb throttles

after a few laps of a longer race my thumb starts to lock up to the point that i cannot work the throttle anymore without wrapping my hand around the grip and grabbing it with my other fingers. does anyone have any tips how to get rid of this problem without putting on a twist throttle?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default thumb throttles

When my thumb gets fatigued in later laps I usually move my hand tighter into the grip so that I'm pushing with more of my hand then just the tip of my thumb. The tip of my throttle at the base of my thumb rather than midway.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default thumb throttles

you could try a thumb saver, but the fact is you need to get a twist throttle and learn how to control it. It takes awhile to get used to, but for racing they are a must if you want to be serious. With a twist you can have better control of the bars due to grip, and it will reduce overall arm pump and fatuige.

It took me about 5 or 6 long rides to get used to it, then learning to control it and take advantage of the mechanics of the twist took a few more. I raced the last race on my wifes 350 and the thumb throttle killed me, it made my left arm very sore and put big blisters on that hand. I was compensating the loss of control with the right hand from using the thumb. It sounds ridiculus but unless you switch you will never know.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default thumb throttles

i had a twist throttle on my last machine, a banshee, and i just couldnt get used to it. i spent more time riding the grab bar than anything. i guess i sould just suck it up. the problem has gotten better now that i made some adjustments. bye the way how do the l&a one ways work, are they worth it considering the stock one costs almost as much?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default thumb throttles

they are way better than stock, and worth every penny. Once you start to mod the internals it is a must.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thumb throttles

I know you're kind of refusing to use a twist throttle, but it really is a "must" if you are seriously going to race.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default thumb throttles

Originally posted by: motox26
I know you're kind of refusing to use a twist throttle, but it really is a "must" if you are seriously going to race.

Really?..who knew?..Gust and Ballance both use thumb's...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thumb throttles

Originally posted by: heatseeker8

Gust and Ballance get paid to condition to be able to use a thumb throttle on a high hp bike through long races. The raptor also uses dual carbs which can mean more fatigue than a lot of single setups.

I'm using a thumb with dual fcrs and a new carb throttle spring but I have two twist throttles on the wall in the garage.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default thumb throttles

Originally posted by: heatseeker8

And how many races have you competed in, and what class?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default thumb throttles

Quick Reply: thumb throttles