ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

how to find a race?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been debating getting into racing my quad, maybe even buying one of them red ones & racing it. but before i do, i'd lke to go to some races locally too see what its like. maybe go to some practices.. etc.
but i don't know where any of the local races are held.
does the AMA or any other sanctioning body have a way(or website w/ info) i can find out whare & when local races are in washington state?

thx,
Andre

Old 11-28-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to one of the local dealers and ask. Make sure that you ask at 2 or 3 places, becfause one of them will give you some bad or wrong info.

Old 12-04-2000, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i went to a shop or two, talked to some locals & AMA reps at the seattle motorcycle show, and e-mailed people until i found out something and here's what i found.

at the shop, i was given three fliers...
1)i found that in the winter there are some indoor races that claim to have classes for quads, usually none show up(the guy at the shop said)but if at least 4 do they'll run a class for them.
2) there are also some indoor flat track races real close to home... about 20 minutes drive( i'm not too interested, but might take a look into it).
3) Washougal, WA has a scramble run by jones creek m/c on new years day with a class for quads.

At the seattle motorcycle show, i talked to guys from www.atvactiontours.com , they didn't know much about racing in the area either. i picked up a copy of motonews & signed up for a free subcription, its a monthly publication that covers off-raod racing, it had a schedule of a number of events, only a couple of which even mentioned quads. then I talked with the guys at the AMA booth, who gave me a copy of the dist. 27 flat track & MX bikes schedules and mentioned that they are trying to set up a new organization to meet the needs of ATV riders. on one of those sheets i found gold, the district 27 website. www.amadist27.org

there, i found links to the seattle m/c and from that, i found an info sheet for quad riders!( http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/2416/quad.html ) it mentioned a new, seperate schedule being set up in conjunction with the baja offroad stuff at hanegan speedway near bellingham, WA,( about 2 hours north of me) and had an e-mail contact.

i found out that this group is now in its beginning stages and is looking for more people to participate. if enough show up, it will seperate into classes beginners/advanced/ displacement etc., but currently only one class is running on an occasional saturday night with the trucks & buggies(which means more spectators, more exposure, more fun). hannegan speedway is a fast track, up to 5th & 6th gear in straights, no whoops, no doubles or triples, but has tabletops & jumps, it's set up for trucks, & buggies to race on as well (i can't imagine them doing a double, much less a triple) it sounds cool, i'll see if i can get some of my friends to go... i know we'd need some work to be ready to race, but we have until march.
rumors have it that other tracks in te area have classes for quads but it has yet to be confirmed.

all it took was a little investigation. thanks for the help